Small Brisket Flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Wittman

I wanted to try a brisket this weekend, but all I could find was a brisket flat, about 3.6 pounds. After reading previous posts, it seems like adding slices of bacon help keep the moisture. Is it also recommended to use foil at some point? Also, how long should I expect to cook to get to around 180? Then should the brisket go in foil for more time?

Cook time varies. You can guestimate at around 1 to 1.5 hours per pound. As far as bacon on top - some flats already have a nice fat cap. If yours does then don't worry about the bacon. If it appears pretty lean then I would add the bacon.

Keith....

There are a dozen different ways to cook a brisket. I now only cook the flats. I get from Sam's because they are pretty good size and have the fat cap on them.

Never judge cook times on a flat based on weight alone....THICKNESS is the determining factor. I have had briskets cook in 45 min./lb and others take 2 hrs./lb. for the same weight. When selecting I try to find one that is a uniform thickness...hard to do, but they are there.

The only advice I suggest is to try each method. Here is a break down on all the various methods I have done.....

1. Leave all fat on.....don't bother seasoning that side. Cook until done, then scrape off fat and apply rub at that point. Try this method with and without foil.

2. Trim ALL the fat off keeping in 1 piece..or close to 1 piece. Season the meat and place fat back on with toothpicks. After cooking, discard fat. This can also be used with or without foil.

3. Trim fat to 1/8" or a tad more. Season meat including fat side you just trimmed. The idea here is that the last of the fat will render off just before it is finished cooking. Again, foil or no foil...your choice.

Advice on foiling.......foil when temp is around 165-170?. This gives you enough time to get a good bark formed.

1 thing I ALWAYS do is.....at the end when you have determined it is done....throw away the thermo! Poking it is the only way to test! Once finished, lay out on foil, pour half a cup of beef broth over and seal tight. Wrap and let rest for at least an hour. Pour that juice into the sauce when serving.

Other than that, just start trying each method and take some notes!

Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Taylor:
[qb] I get from Sam's because they are pretty good size and have the fat cap on them.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Additionally, flats at Sam's are USDA choice, whereas their whole briskets are selects. I get their flats exclusively when I do pastrami.

Thanks for the advice. It turned out ok, I wouldn't say excellent. It was juicy but still a little tough. The brisket was about 3.5 lbs. I cooked for about 7 hrs at 225. Seems like that should have been plenty of time. The internal temp was still only 173. Wrapped in tinfoil with beef broth for 1 hour.

Keith.....

That is why the meat was a little tough....the 173? just won't do it. Though I no longer use a thermo, if I remember correctly, you need upwards of 188? to get tender.

Hey, you tried and the meat was edible! Now you can start to experiment a bit.

Good luck!

I use the fork or waba waba test to check for doneness. For the fork test you take a fork and poke it into the meat and twist. If it twists easily its done. For the waba waba test you poke the meat and when it does the waba waba dance its done.

Hey Kevin where you been?

Bruce...

I have been around...just not posting as much....not much to add!

I will be in town on Thursday.....set some lunch time aside! I'll call you in the next day or so.

John....

I don't really have a "favorite" or "most successful" method.

I will tell you that I took 3rd Place at the Minnesota in May contest 2 years ago by closely trimming the fat and using foil at the very end. I will also tell you that I have bombed using the exact same technique!

I have started using more foil and not trimming any fat. I usually wait until the flat reaches around 170-175? and then wrap. I will then check for resistance and when tender, I will unwrap, scrape the fat cap off, season heavily with my rub, pour some broth on top of it and re-wrap and let sit for about an hour or 2.

The best brisket cook I know uses the whole brisket and turns in a very small portion of it. Sorry but sworn to secrecy as far as where that piece comes from! It really doesn't matter.....most don't compete anyway.

Again, all I can suggest is to try them all and see what works for you.

Good luck!

I cut up leftover pieces of the brisket, added to boiling beef broth for about 1 minute, then served on bread with hot giardiniera peppers. Fantastic sandwiches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back