Small Bison Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWolf

TVWBB Member
Hi,
I've just bought my first Bullet after years of enjoying the results of my friend's efforts.

This weekend I'm going to smoke a turkey and a small bison brisket (approx 3.5 lbs).

Any suggestions about how long to cook the brisket?

I haven't found anything about either bison or a brisket this small. Advice from this group would sure be appreciated.

Bison is very lean so low temps is the name of the game, you need to go by feel to judge when the brisket is done. Use a probe slide into the brisket, when it feels tender is time to take it off. If you over cook it it will toughen back up.
Jim

I would also smoke on the lower rack, and add a layer of bacon to help keep from drying out. I used this method on a very small, small fat cap, and thin beef brisket. I smoked 3.5 hrs, then foiled for 2 hrs.

Let use know how it works out.

Well, I guess I'll have to try something else...

I smoked the bison brisket low and slow to 205F like all the research suggested (to let the colagens break down).. When the internal temp reached 160, I wrapped in foil with some of the marinade I used. Seemed like a good approach... but...

what I ended up with was a highly flavorful piece of rubber. No matter what slicing trick I tried, there was no way to make this edible.a

The good news is that the turkey breast I smoked came out beautifully.

If bison wasnt so darn expensive I'd keep experimenting with it; but, since it is so high priced, I'll stick with bison steaks and chili.

On to smoking salmon and beer can chicken!

I am undaunted!

DWolf
The finish temp was the problem, buffalo can not be taken to temps that high. Buffalo can not be handled in the same as beef, need to forget about beef finish temps.
A good finish temp on buffalo could be 160º internal. You need to use a probe and check piece for tenderness rather than finish temp.
Jim

Thanks Jim.. you've convinced me to try again. Probably will be a few months before I do it, but I'll post the results here.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back