Slicing against the grain

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello everyone

What is a good way to determine if you are slicing against the grain? Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Paul Kirk and others recommend cutting a notch off the end of the flat end of brisket against the grain before smoking, so that you can just cut parallel with that notch after smoking. That's about the only cut that I've found can be tricky. Is there a particular cut of meat you're wanting information about?

Thanks for the information Dwain and Kevin! I'll try both of your suggestions! I don't know why, but sometimes I just can't tell if I'm going with or against the grain.

Here's what I do to determine the grain on just about any type of meat: Before cutting, use your fingertips on the top of the meat to pull it apart slightly from different directions. Try to slightly "part" the meat. You'll then clearly see the direction that the meat naturally separates (the grain), and then cut opposite of that.

Some people say to cut a slice of meat off and then look at it to see which way the grain goes. But that never worked for me .. I couldn't always tell.

I just score the fat cap about a dozen times parallel to the grain, then slice perpendicular to the scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back