sliced ham and ribs for tailgate

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

When I visit the AWESOME bbq joints in KC(Chiefs) I enjoy the sliced ham on a sandwich. How do I do this with my smoker at home? I have never experimented with pork butt or shoulder(pulled pork)? I am not sure what cut of meat to buy or how to prepare it to get sliced ham results. I am in charge of food for the Chiefs/Bills sunday night game and don't want to disappoint my fellow tailgaters! Already planned on ribs. I welcome any and all feedback for this endeavor.

UHM....HAM....
YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY THE RECIPE FOR SPIRAL SLICED GLAZED HAM ON THE TVWB COOKING PAGE. WON'T TAKE AS LONG TO PREPARE.....SEEMS FLAWLESS SINCE IT IS PRE-COOKED, AND EASY FOR YOU TO SERVE. OTHERWISE IT SOUNDS LIKE PULLED-PORK (BOSTON BUTT, PORK SHOULDER), BUT COOKING TIME COULD BE AN ISSUE FOR YOU IF YOU ARE TAILGATING AT THE STADIUM RATHER THAN YOUR BACK PATIO.

David,
If you haven't given pork butt a try go ahead. It is quite tasty and one of the most forgiving cooks on the WSM. Fllow this sites recipe for the Renowned Mr Brown's pork butt. And just so you are aware, the butt (or Boston Butt) is a shoulder cut, as is the Pork Picnic. Picnics can be easier to find and are a bit cheaper then butts, but I think most prefer the butt cut. A boston Butt runs around $1.39/lb and usually yield from 6 to 8 pounds. They can be cooked overnight so they're done the morning of the game. Just wrap 'em in foil and hold them in a cooler until the party starts.

The down side is you'll probably be coaxed into cooking for the rest of the season! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

thanks for the ideas. It is a night game therefore I will be cooking all day. How does the pork look at presentation? Is it shredded? If I did a precooked ham would that be similiar to what you get in restaurants?

IF COOKING ALL DAY FOR A NIGHT GAME.....THE PULLED PORK WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO. IT IS VERY EASY, BUT TAKES TIME. SHREADED, THEN PILED ON WHITE BREAD OR HAMBURGER BUNS IS PERFECT. AFTER COOKING, YOU CAN DOUBLE FOIL WRAP AND PLACE IN A BATH TOWEL WITHIN A COOLER OR ICE CHEST. IT WILL STAY HOT FOR HOURS. I AM COOKING 4 ON SUNDAY WITH 8 RACKS OF LOINBACK RIBS. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

David

If you're planning on having food ready before the game, I recommend you do a night cook and then use the foil, towel and ice chest. Butts can be unpredictable in so far as length of time. I did 3 which averaged about 8 lbs each and it took 17 hrs to get to 195 internal. I would rather hold the meat than worry about whether it's going to get done in time. Just my two cents.

PRG

I want to cook St Louis style ribs also....probably 4 slabs. Two questions, do you shred the pork when it cools off the smoker or when I take out of foil at the game? Also, how long does it take, I want the ribs(6 hours) to be done about the same time?

I WOULD LEAVE THE BUTTS WHOLE UNTIL YOU ARE GOING TO SERVE THEM. THEY WILL STAY HOTTER THAT WAY. YOUR RIBS WILL TAKE 4-5 HOURS, CONSIDERABLY SHORTER THAN THE BUTTS. DEPENDING ON HOW YOU COOK THE BUTTS (WITH OR WITHOUT H2O IN THE PAN)THEY COULD GO LONG OR SHORT...SEE THE VARIOUS METHODS ON THIS SITE. MY DINNER IS AT 3:00 SUNDAY. I WILL START THE BUTTS AT 9:00 PM SATURDAY AND START THE RIBS IN A SEPARATE WSM AT 11:00 SUNDAY MORNING....I AM PLANNING ON THE BUTTS BEING DONE AND WRAPPED IN A "5-DAY" ICE CHEST FOR SEVERAL HOURS BEFORE SERVING. HOPE YOUR COOK GOES WELL.......CHIEFS LOOK LIKE THE REAL DEAL THIS YEAR.

IMHO, when others are depending on you providing the food for an event (tailgaters, picnics, parties), it would not be the time to start experimenting. Especially also trying to have everything ready at the same time.

I did about 50lbs of pork butt for my Church picnic last month. I split it all into 3lb chunks and they took over 2.5hrs/lb to cook. After letting them rest in foil, it me another 4 hours to pull! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Essentially, it took me all day from start to finish (I also made a batch of sammich sauce) and I was dead-tired. Good thing the picnic wasn't until the next day.

My recommedation - cook the pork butt the day before, pull, and put in the fridge. The day of the tailgater, cook the ribs and warm up the pulled pork.

That way, you can actually enjoy the game afterwards instead of falling asleep, face-down in the cole slaw. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks to Russ, Paul, and Charles for sharing your experience. If your familiar with golf you know the phrase drive for show putt for dough. This held true for my Chiefs(8-0) tailgate party last night in historic Arrowhead parking lot. The 5 racks of spares I cooked SHOWED and tasted great and were fun to talk about; but the 14 lbs of pulled pork was the 'putt for dough'. An extreme hit with EVERYONE! Even had a NC guy say thanks multiple times...said he didn't have to go back east to get pork anymore. Thanks for the info guys.

Dave, glad it worked out so well. This board is a fantastic resource, everyone is very helpful and knowledgeable about the topics. Most important, they are willing to share their success stories and not-so successful stories. Happy smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back