Slathering Spares in Mustard before applying Rub.

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello all, does anyone apply Mustard to their spares before smoking? Kinda like you do the pork butts? Thanks

Hi Steve, I use only my rub. I do use mustard on pork butt from time to time but you know it's a matter of taste. If you like it then go with it. Thats what Q'in is all about! Have fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Morgan:
... apply Mustard to their spares </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last spares I cooked I applied mustard to them before rubing. It did help keep the rub on the ribs. Downside - you get mustard all over your hands
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Normally I do add yellow mustard to the ribs before rubbing and it both helps the rub to stick and I feel gives a thicker bark. The last time I didnt add the mustard and the bark was much less, but then again that was what I was going for.

As for the mustard on the hands I put a latex glove on one hand ( the spreading hand) and have my rub shaker in the other. Without the glove I find my fingertips yellow for 2 to 3 days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Babek:
Normally I do add yellow mustard to the ribs before rubbing and it both helps the rub to stick and I feel gives a thicker bark. The last time I didnt add the mustard and the bark was much less, but then again that was what I was going for.

As for the mustard on the hands I put a latex glove on one hand ( the spreading hand) and have my rub shaker in the other. Without the glove I find my fingertips yellow for 2 to 3 days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

I'm not one of those people who are scared of, well, anything and everything (no bottled water in my house in other words) but you should be careful using latex on food. Some people...nurses and doctors usually...are seriously allergic to latex. In some cases, exposure can lead to anaphylactic shock.

My dad was an anesthesiologist and developed a severe allergy to the stuff after years of everyday use. My sister in law is not a health care worker, and is very allergic as well.

Here's a blurb about it from the American Academy of Family Physicians:

Natural latex from the rubber tree Hevea brasiliensis is an allergen in persons with significant cumulative latex exposure, such as those in the health care and rubber industries, as well as those undergoing repeated surgeries, especially if they undergo surgeries early in life. Symptoms of latex allergy may progress rapidly and unpredictably to anaphylaxis.

Just a heads up.
icon_smile.gif

Phil,

Thanks for the info and Im very careful of the latex allergy since my wife is a nurse and I am an EMT. Actually its the only reason I use them, I have so many at my disposal.

Very true that everyone should be aware of the allergy and should be conscious of it. Perhaps it is something that should be stressed on this board. It definately isnt something to be taken lightly. For those of you who dont know anaphylactic shock can equal death. Its nothing to be messed with.

Back