Skinned turkey breast

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Hi gang,
I have a 7#, bone-in, skin-on, injected turkey breast that I want to cook this weekend.

Contrary to chicken, turkey skin doesn't crisp well for me, so I am thinking about removing the skin before cooking, then rubbing.

Any comments on how I should cook this?
Low/slow with water in the pan or high/hard with no pan?

I have Hickory and Pecan wood only right now, would the Pecan be a good choice? Never used any before.

I would leave the skin on because it has some fat and may help the breast stay more moist. If you're into brining, I'm sure that would help also. High heat with a foil lined pan and the foil suspended + pecan wood is my recommendation.

Best of luck.

Paul

Leave the skin on. If you lift the skin and rub some butter on it underneath and outside you will get crispier skin. Baste the skin outside again during the cook with melted butter. Smoke lightly as turkey can get "over smoked" very easily with hickory. Applewood is nice for turkey too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">would the Pecan be a good choice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Charles,

Pecan is a great choice. I use it often. Also, I would leave the skin on - the breast will not "dry out" as much. Have you considered laying pieces of uncooked bacon across the breast to kind of "self baste". I have successfully done this and it works well.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:

Let us know how it turns out.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will. I realized I don't have a turkey cook with pictures on the bbq page of Bubba's website.

I have to apologize to Kevin for asking and then changing my mind. I have decided to leave the skin on.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

No apology necessary. I don't remove skin either--I like it too much. But the turkeys we raise don't always butcher all that well and the skin is occasionally very mangled necessitating removal. In those cases a coating of oil and a heavy paste rub is sufficent and the big deal--as always with fowl--is not overcooking, pulling a few degrees shy of finish and letting the temp rise at rest.

This bird came out great!
The details are here.

Note that I have added a new feature to Bubba's website.
In the column on the left you can see the current top 15 Internet search terms.

Back