SJ Gold Winner on Cook's Country

Don Fry

TVWBB Super Fan
Am watching an episode of Cook's Country and they did testing of portable charcoal grills. Testing included burgers, flank steaks, and whole chickens. The Smokey Joe Gold was the winner over a couple of hibachis and an off brand kettle style grill. Funny, I think anyone of us could have told them that. Way to go Weber.

To be "fair" that Lodge hibachi that was tested is a heck of a grill, but it is a big honking piece of cast iron and not exactly "portable" compared to the stamped steel SJ.

I don't own that Lodge grill, but it is on my wish list, and at $70 delivered from Amazon, I think it's a good deal.

If I had to pick a single small grill for just high direct heat for steaks, burgers, and kabobs, I think that Lodge would win hands down.

I own both the Lodge hibachi and the Smokey Joe, have been using them both for several years and they both cook very well. Although the Lodge is not as portable mainly due to weight I have more fun grilling on the Lodge. Guests are also intrigued by seeing this little hunk of iron on the hibachi table, in action. And if you see BBq'ing as a hobby like I do, the fun factor is a huge deal.
And to add more fun to the Smokey Joe, I converted it into a Smokey Joe UDS recently and am having loads of fun with it now.

Back