size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
ive been using wsm for a while now and have been thinking about getting a charcoal kettle. Is the 18 inch kettle the same size as my 18 inch wsm? would you all reccoment the 22 for a family of four? Is the gold really worh the extra 50 or 60 bucks???? thanks

Yes. It's a different animal, so to speak. The thing with kettles (unlike the WSM) is that you will want to be able to set your kettle up easily for the type of cook you'll be doing - direct at one heat, two (or three) heat zones, indirect, direct/indirect, etc. The added space makes, imo, a huge difference. I often cook just for two - but really need the additional space because of the ease of cooking configuration set-ups. 18s - unless you are just cooking direct or doing a simple half-coal-grate-covered thing are quite limiting. Harder to indirectly roast a turkey or a couple chickens, for example, with an 18. Not so with a 22. Just my two cents.

I've never had an 18 but I do have a joe and 22.5. I think you could probably get by on an 18 but you'd never regret the 22.5.

I feel like the gold is worth the money but I also think the performer is worth the money as well if you can afford it.

If you can't spring for the performer, my recommendation would be to watch Craigslist. If you are patient and flexible, you can get what you are looking for about 20 dollars...or less.

if money ain't an issue (ca$h iS KING), go ALL out and get the largest grill possible.

...or the 22.5 is more useful than the 18"...
and, yes, the gold IS worth the xtra dough.

In my humble, yet, honest opinion.
icon_biggrin.gif

Corey,

I have a Master Touch 22.5 and a stainless red performer to serve my family of 5. I wouldn't trade the one touch and size for anything. Plenty of room for meat and sides on the 22.5. In fact, sometime soon I'll be selling my big gas grill for lack of use. My wife wants it off the deck! You'll be glad with the gold 22.5, no doubt, for years to come.

I would go at lest with the 22. When you start cooking for a few people (meaning even three or four) it makes life a lot easier. Especially when you think of sides and so forth. I also think the gold is worth it but not necesary....

Clark

Just to be clear, the benefits of upgrading to the gold are ...

1) hinged grates
2) ash can pot instead of the flimsy tray
3) different bottom vent because of the ash pot
4) ????Anything else????

Does the gold have a lid holder?

Darrel
The gold has a lid holder (the same as the one on the silver) But not the slide aside which is an optional accessory

later

I would check CL for some deals,you never know what might come up.I think bigger is better also,I would have a rancher if I could.

I picked up a 18 1/2" OTS off CL for $15. After a week or so decided it was small.
Found later a 22 1/2" OTS for $10 off CL and love the size.
Go for the bigger and never look back.

guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back