Size of Back ribs

Allan

TVWBB Fan
Just wondering what the weight is of your regular rack of back ribs. I just picked up a case today from the butcher and while a few of them were around the 2# range a good number of them were around the 1.5# range. I thought they were a little small. Does 1.5# seem on the small side?

We'll see tomorrow, I'm going to be cooking up 5 racks and 3 whole birds for some pulled chicken sandwiches.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allan:
Just wondering what the weight is of your regular rack of back ribs. a good number of them were around the 1.5# range. I thought they were a little small. Does 1.5# seem on the small side? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Allan, Yes they are on the small size. The BB's I get at BJ's are in the 2 - 2.5lb. per rack range.

Allan, being a fellow Canadian I feel your pain. Recently a couple grocery chains have had BB's for 2.99/lb which is about the best you can do around these parts. I picked up several (have 2 over my butt on the WSM right now) and there is considerable variance in weight and also length.

I managed to keep all in the 2lb area, but you are right in that many are 1.5 if that. My wife prefer's BB's to sides (i swear it's just cuz they cost more! haha) but anything under 2lbs has so little meat on it that you are likely to need a rack + per person.

I have found several butchers that will provide me with meatier ribs if I ask, but you have to be willing to shell out the $5+/lb for them!!

Scooter, not sure where in Canada you are but if there's a Costco the racks they carry are at least 2 and a half pounds. I buy all of my bb's from there now. So in response to the original question you bet that's a little small! I have found this sized BB's at costco in Winnipeg, Regina, Vancouver, and Nanaimo so I'm thinking they all carry them and the prices are around $2.50 to $3.00 a pound. good luck searching!

Clark

Back