Single Plywood Sheet Windbreak

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
IMG_2652.jpg

I made 3 of these windbreaks before our first competition (sept '07) and have used one pretty much every time I cook on the wsm. My yard tends to get windy and I wanted something to keep my cooks consistent. The big key would be to create something that was portable and easy to set up.

This design works nice and the wind break was easy and inexpensive to make. Its basically a sheet of plywood (osb in this case) cut and hinged so it can fold flat or into box. I used door hinges at the joints.

I started with a full 4x8 sheet of plywood. I went with the cheapest option, osb, which work fine but is very heavy. Snap a chalk line (or use a cutting guide) every 2 feet, and make the cuts with a circular saw. The center cut should be made at a 45* angle to allow that joint to swing open more.

cut plywood:
IMG_2651.jpg

once you have the plywood cut into 4 pieces (two with a beveled edge), you need to carefully plan where the hinges go. You can see from the pic above that two joints show hinges and the center one does not. The hinges are on the underside and the beveled edges make a V at the center joint.

I made a quick template for my router that I could line up with the corners of the plywood. This made assembly a snap, and every hinge lined up perfectly so there's no binding when it folds.

router template:
IMG_2638.jpg

You dont want to recess the hinges too much, because you wont have anything to set the hinge screws into. I used small wood screws and in 2+ years of carting these things around, I've only had to redo one hinge with small nuts and bolts.

here's a shot of the center joint. You can see when the box is set up, the hinge need to swing past 180*.
IMG_2640.jpg

To make them a little more easy to move around I attached some ropes with pvc handles.

windbreak folded flat:
IMG_2650.jpg

opening:
IMG_2649.jpg

inverted and open:
IMG_2648.jpg

there was a few unintended benefits to these. my favorite is that when 2 or more are honeycombed together (as in the top pic) you can set the lid of one wsm on the Y that's made at the center to the two.

Looks like a nice design. I threw a windbreak together when I 1st started with the WSM, it was a POS that lasted about a half dozen cooks. The wood you used looks like 3/4 inch, which would be very heavy for an older guy like me. Any way to make this out of 1/4 - 3/8 inch plywood and still have a good way to attach the hinges solidly while allowing you to fold it flat? Could you privide a parts list of what you used, or what you think might work for a more light weight model? If any of you other guys have some suggestions please send them along.Thanks.......Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Looks like a nice design. I threw a windbreak together when I 1st started with the WSM, it was a POS that lasted about a half dozen cooks. The wood you used looks like 3/4 inch, which would be very heavy for an older guy like me. Any way to make this out of 1/4 - 3/8 inch plywood and still have a good way to attach the hinges solidly while allowing you to fold it flat? Could you privide a parts list of what you used, or what you think might work for a more light weight model? If any of you other guys have some suggestions please send them along.Thanks.......Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is 3/8" thick. but still VERY heavy, I think osb is more glue than wood.

The problem with lighter means it will only break light wind, heavy wind will break it and your wsm instead.

parts list:

4'x8' sheet of plywood
6 door hinges
24 wood screws wide enough to fit the hinge hole and short enough to not pierce the plywood (sorry...it was over a year ago that these were built).

small short machine screws with nuts work to hold the hinges and dont really add much to the width when it folds flat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chris comer:
which would be very heavy for an older guy like me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,

Check out this post from early June:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...=862106171#862106171

Rarely at home do I need a windbreak (my patio has a wall for a perimeter that acts as a pretty good windbreak) but on the rare occasion that I cook away from home this is a pretty good, lightweight windbreak.

DC

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back