Simply Red 22.5" Weber Bar-B-Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barret

TVWBB Pro
This was just listed on CL here in Boise, and after some thought, I went and picked it up for $25. My wife's words: "Honey, that's pretty beat up!". My words: "Nope; it's beautiful!"

Not sure what year it is, and neither was the seller. Just shows you how young I am: I have never before seen a Weber kettle with 3 separate bottom vents...probably the reason they developed the "one-touch" system. On the lid vent damper, it is stamped: Weber-Stephen Products, Co./Pat.3538906/Arlington Heights, Ill. I just did a little research, and from what I can tell, it might be pre-1979.

I plan to take Scott G's advice and will touch up the paint with Duplicolor red 1200° engine paint; I'll upload pictures after that is done (don't hold your breath....might not happen until next summer!).

SL371244sm.jpg

SL371245sm.jpg

SL371246sm.jpg

SL371247sm.jpg

SL371248sm.jpg

SL371249sm.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Barret

Barret

It is very strange but I can read the top vent on my phone but cannot on the old computer. If I am not mistaken it has the letter A which denotes it was made in 1979, it also says Arlington IL and lists the patent number. This makes it a quite early kettle.
what a catch!!!
here in Austin Tx there is never never on craigs list anything that old. You could send it to me and here in the dry south texas I would take good care of it. and it would become my first red head

regards

Gary - YES, there is an "A" stamped on the top vent. That solved it!!
icon_smile.gif

Sorry; you're not going to get it...I'm keeping it as my "1st Redhead". That's why I named it "Simply Red"!

Barret

Hi Barret
It will probably clean up a little better than you think. Wash it down with a detergant like Simply Green. Then once its dry, take some 0000 extra fine steel wool and wipe down all the red enamel. It won't scratch the paint. It will take off alot of spots, old grease, etc and make it very shiney. Use can also use the steel wool on the legs, and triangular part on the bottom that holds the 3 legs together. Try it on your vents also. Look forward to seeing some more pics.

Also...be careful with the handle on the lid. It looks like its slightly off center or bent. It might be a little weak since you have some rust at the base of where it attaches to the kettle lid.

awesome find and save. i'd have bought it a heart beat. the wood can be sanded and then treated with mineral oil. the ash pan can be carefully bent back into shape. amazing that its still with the kettle as they are usually missing. i usually brush and then near polish them up. treat it with pam and it will stay clean a lot longer. as to the legs i take them off and clean them with some 000 or/and 0000 steel wool. the lower rack can be steeled wooled also. you have the option of painting it but i just treat mine with a very rubbed in film of pam. as to the vents i take them off, clean with a brush and steel wool. install with ss hardware. the body can be cleaned especially the interior with oven cleaner and steel wool. 0000 steel wool and soap will put a nice shine to it. as to the handle i would straighten it out by hitting the inside careflly with wood and a hammer or a rubber mallet. enjoy !

Great score! She is a beauty. A little work cleaning it up a bit and you will have many years of enjoyment out of it.

Congratulations!

Nice score. I would just do the lid to see how it shines up. I just re did a 1993 red performer and it turned out great.

Barret you did good on that find. Id take that over a one touch anyday. Those old grill's are some cooking machine's right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back