Simple Vinegar Coleslaw

Ethan G

TVWBB Super Fan
I made 30+ lbs. of pulled pork a few months ago for a gathering of friends from church. One of the other couples brought some incredible coleslaw, and I got the recipe from her. No amounts on anything, so after making it myself a few times, here's what I've settled on. I think this is delicious with any bbq meat, on top of pulled pork, and I prefer it to any slaw that I've had with mayo in it.

Ingredients:

1 head green cabbage
1 bell pepper
1 yellow onion
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

I chop the cabbage very finely, then chop (actually almost liquefy) the bell pepper and onion in a food processor. I mix it all together with the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper, then refrigerate it overnight before serving.

The attached picture is a batch I just made with a red bell pepper.

IMG-20120609-00003.jpg

A rough guess as to how big the cabbage was--weight, diameter?

I ask because we get all sizes: one time every head is about 1 foot wide and another time every head is only 6 inches wide.

Depends on time of year I think.

I guess it was average size...about the size of a regular head of iceberg lettuce. plenty of liquid leaches out of the cabbage overnigt, so if anything go light on the vinegar and oil at first, then maybe add more later. side note, it is better with a green bell pepper than a red one.

Back