Simple (but tasty) Smoked Chicken Mexican Soup

Tom (Gunner)

TVWBB Super Fan
So I want to share this recipe I came up with, that I make quite often now. It started from a Mexican Soup recipe that required a packet of taco seasoning and a packet of ranch seasoning (I even think it was a weight watchers recipe?? HOLY SALT!) Anyways I wanted to figure out how to make it more my own and less salty so I messed around with it for awhile and here is what I came up with! Hope some of you try it...

First off it's best if you can smoke a chicken (which I know all of you won't have a problem doing
icon_smile.gif
) and make your own chicken stock for this BUT you can use low sodium chicken stock and 2 grilled chicken breasts if you don't have time.

2 Poblano Peppers (seeded then rough chopped)
3-4 Large Jalapenos (rough chopped, I leave the seeds)
1 Serrano (rough chopped, I leave the seeds)
1 Large white or spanish onion (rough chopped)
3-5 Garlic Cloves (chopped, the more the better IMO)
Half Bag Of Frozen Corn (2 cans of corn works too)
2 Cans diced tomatoes & green chilis
2 Cans Of Black Beans (low sodium if you can find)
1 4-5 LB smoked chicken, all meat taken off and chopped, (save the skin and bones to make stock, do not add skin to soup)
1 T Smoked Paprika
1 T Ground Cumin
1 T Ground Coriander
1 T Crushed Red Pepper
1 T Oregano
1-2 T Fresh Cracked Pepper
(ALL SPICES ARE ROUGH ESTIMATES I JUST USUALLY DUMP A MIDDLE PALM FULL OF EACH IN)
1 1/2 quarts of low sodium chicken stock

You will want to use a big soup pot to make this...it's makes a big batch!

Saute chopped poblano, jalapenos, serano, onion & garlic with some EVOO in a large soup pot till tender. (I leave them pretty aldente because I don't like them super mushy in the soup.)

Add all cans of diced tomatoes and green chilis, black beans and corn to the pot.

Add the chicken stock

Add all spices

Bring to a slow boil and turn down to a simmer.

Add chopped chicken and simmer for an hour. (I add the chicken last because if you add the chicken and bring the soup up to a boil then simmer it tends to get mushy, so add the chicken right after it comes to a boil and you turn it down to simmer)

Serve with grilled corn tortillas, and top with diced onion and cilantro and a squeeze of lime if you like. I always add a spoonful of sour cream on the side to eat with it.

FYI this soup tends to run on the spicy side which we like, but if you like it more tame you can seed the jalapenos and omit the serrano and crushed red pepper, but why would you want to go and do that? Enjoy!

(another FYI this soup freezes very well!)

Back