silver vs spirit

So you took it apart to clean it? Was it loose before that? Did you check it for a leak? Does anything look visibly worn on that valve compared to the other ones? I'm just going down my trouble shooting checklist here.
Hey steve, yes i took them all apart to clean and didnt notice any problems then, it's only been in the last couple of cooks. ill take them a part again and inspect. is this a common thing though? i havent noticed any leaks but will also check that!

Hey steve, yes i took them all apart to clean and didnt notice any problems then, it's only been in the last couple of cooks. ill take them a part again and inspect. is this a common thing though? i havent noticed any leaks but will also check that!
No, I've never come across that particular problem. The two most common problems I've seen on manifolds are valves that won't lock into position or pop up freely (the main reason to risk disassembling them to clean and lubricate) or the arms on the manifold getting bent down over time so that your knobs bottom out on the control panel.

It's possible that you inadvertently stripped one or both of the screws that hold that valve together, it's super easy to do as they are made of soft brass.

No, I've never come across that particular problem. The two most common problems I've seen on manifolds are valves that won't lock into position or pop up freely (the main reason to risk disassembling them to clean and lubricate) or the arms on the manifold getting bent down over time so that your knobs bottom out on the control panel.
Thanks Steve I’ll def check for gas leak then open it up. It does have a case of the bent arm also but it’s not bottoming out on the panel.

Yeah, there's definitely something going on there that I'm sure you will be able to figure out by taking a close look. One of the cool things about these old grills is that they are pretty easy to troubleshoot and fix.

Yeah, there's definitely something going on there that I'm sure you will be able to figure out by taking a close look. One of the cool things about these old grills is that they are pretty easy to troubleshoot and fix.
Appreciate it. I’ll post a video so you can see about the amount of wiggle!

Keep in mind the valve is 2 pieces. The actual control "cone" with either a spiral slot or 3 orifices on it. That part should be a very precise fit. The "stem" is independent and depending on the mfg tolerances of the top plate, wear, etc, can have quite a bit of lateral movement with no "issues" in relation to actual operation

Tha
Keep in mind the valve is 2 pieces. The actual control "cone" with either a spiral slot or 3 orifices on it. That part should be a very precise fit. The "stem" is independent and depending on the mfg tolerances of the top plate, wear, etc, can have quite a bit of lateral movement with no "issues" in relation to actual operation
Thanks, that’s reassuring. I can’t remember what the internals were like however I just cleaned out my side burner valve and it definitely had 3 orifices If ghat means anything. Is there anything that can be down to fix the way the valve sits relative to the control panel? Like Steve was saying above how it can bottom out against the control panel?

Tha

Thanks, that’s reassuring. I can’t remember what the internals were like however I just cleaned out my side burner valve and it definitely had 3 orifices If ghat means anything. Is there anything that can be down to fix the way the valve sits relative to the control panel? Like Steve was saying above how it can bottom out against the control panel?
Make sure that support bracket is in place. Otherwise it will sag under it's own weight. Odd, the side burner had fixed orifices. That is the first one I have heard of. All the ones I have been around have been continuous variable. More like a kitchen stove valve

Make sure that support bracket is in place. Otherwise it will sag under it's own weight. Odd, the side burner had fixed orifices. That is the first one I have heard of. All the ones I have been around have been continuous variable. More like a kitchen stove valve

I can recheck but yeah I’m pretty sure,

Hey Larry here’s my sideburner coneIMG_0402.jpeg

This is a Spirit grill for sale by me like the one you posted. It has the same control panel.View attachment 74255
Ah cool, thanks Steve. The one I’m watching is still sitting on $1 reserve, no one has bidded so I’m hoping I get it cheap. So far I’ve never seen anything older than a silver in NZ, but one day I’d love to get a 1000 redhead. It’d be cool if you could see how many units Weber sold over the years and in what markets.

Ah cool, thanks Steve. The one I’m watching is still sitting on $1 reserve, no one has bidded so I’m hoping I get it cheap. So far I’ve never seen anything older than a silver in NZ, but one day I’d love to get a 1000 redhead. It’d be cool if you could see how many units Weber sold over the years and in what markets.
Well, I just found two of the exact same grill near me listed for $100. One of them is a little on the rusty side but I personally wouldn't go over $40 or $50 for either of them. It would be nice to have a breakdown on that but it's really not to hard to guess just based on population. The population of just the county I live in is equal or more than the entire population of your country. If you told me you wanted a redhead Genesis 1000 I could bring one home tomorrow, I saw a few just looking through Facebook marketplace tonight. It's just a numbers game, hang in there and you will find one.

Well, I just found two of the exact same grill near me listed for $100. One of them is a little on the rusty side but I personally wouldn't go over $40 or $50 for either of them. It would be nice to have a breakdown on that but it's really not to hard to guess just based on population. The population of just the county I live in is equal or more than the entire population of your country. If you told me you wanted a redhead Genesis 1000 I could bring one home tomorrow, I saw a few just looking through Facebook marketplace tonight. It's just a numbers game, hang in there and you will find one.
Lol! Yeah you’re right. I know a few people that import cars and car parts in from the US, maybe I should sneak a grill in the trunk?

Back