Silver vs Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig A

TVWBB Fan
I've decided that I want a 22.5" kettle to keep my 18.5" WSM company. What I can't decide is if I want a OTS or a OTG.

Is the ash catcher the only difference between a OTS and a OTG? Is this really worth a 55% price premium? The price is really holding me back on a gold, I could scrape together $85 but $150 is a lot more money.

I have never used a kettle. Does a lot of ash get past the vents? Is there another advantage to the ash catcher that I just don't see? Maybe the indirect access to the vents helps keep temps stable when the wind blows?

Help me out guys, am I going to regret buying a one touch silver?

I think the OTG has 2 handles on the bowl of the kettle while the OTS has only one. The OTG comes with a hinged cooking great while the OTS does not.

I went with the OTS and added a $3 terracotta pot on the ash pan that fits perfectly and catches the ashes. I then bought the SS hinged grate (OTG is not SS) and pocketed the $$ saved.

-David

Nice idea with the pot.. I might add that if $$ is a concern keep a close eye out on your local craigslist often a gold can be had for a fraction of a new silver cost. I do like that the ashes are contained and not subject to wind.

Good idea David. I'll go look at the silver and some pots that will fit. The hinged grate is also important to me, I didn't realize the silver grate was flat.

One other difference between the OTS and the OTG, for whatever it's worth, is that the wire triangle connecting the legs of the OTS is less substantial than the triangle found on the OTG, and cannot really be used as a storage rack.

I don't really need the OTG's triangle, as there is not very much storage area down there in any event. I have an OTS that I tricked out by, among other things, retro-fitting an OTG ash-catcher assembly and switching out the standard cooking grate for a hinged grate. I also added a slide-aside, and scored an old Master-Touch lid (w/ wood handle and thermometer mount) at a clearance table at Ace Hardware. Finished off with the Weber Work Table 7412, it is, if not a Performer, an eminently functional rig.

In fact, if you are considering getting both the slide-aside and the work table, you may be better off with the OTS, as the second handle on the OTG bowl could be an obstacle to mounting the slide-aside directly opposite the work-table.

One other difference most people do not know is the ash sweeper blades in the silver are aluminized steel. In the gold they are stainless steel.
Also, the silver is available in any color you want, as long as it is black. The gold is available in black, blue or green.

DUDE, just buck up and get the Gold, you'll never regret it! Believe me, 23 years with my silver, 22 1/2 of those years coveting the Gold.

I was just on the phone with Weber and the Stainless Steel ash cleaner Part # 90720 is only $7.70

The aluminized steel version at the hardware store is $11 to $14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back