Silver B frame rust

MikeAlt

TVWBB Member
Have a Genesis silver B 2002 year, Only place on frame showing some rust
front right corner near cook box. Too small to fix? Should I sand, clean, brush
paint area with flat black rust oleum paint?

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 24
I think that plan seems reasonable. If your sanding revealed that it was deeper than it appears, you might need to do more, but I doubt it myself.

I do not think it is too small to fix. I fear once you disassemble to effectuate the repair you will find additional rust. If there is additional rust and this is a keeper grill, I would completely disassemble the frame, fix the rust, repaint, and re-assemble with stainless hardware. Then you will have a solid foundation that will last another 18+ years.

J makes very good points. My answer was too quick. A thorough inspection is very worthwhile, and stainless hardware (with Anti-seize applied to each thread) will really help extend the functionality of your grill. Hopefully, you will get lucky and not find more rust, but checking to be sure and replacing the hardware, regardless, are great ideas.

Mike, The firebox looks like it would benefit from a coat of paint. If you don't want to do a full disassembly you could:

Remove the lid, knobs, control panel and side table.

Spray the firebox with high heat semi-gloss. Hit the rust spots on the top of the frame with the high heat semi-gloss.

Once it drys reassemble

Back