Silly price

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
A lot of the stuff that is recommended on TVWBB is not directly available up here but can be found online and shipped. Shipping costs usually dictate whether I'm going to buy it or not. The price is almost always less but the shipping kills the deal.

I've been looking for a 6qt cambro for sour dough purposes. The attached pic came up for a square one (round is best) but when I saw the shipping cost. I nearly busted a gut laughing so much.

The usual price for this in U.S. is ~$8 . Up here, about $20-25.

Obviously it's priced where it is to discourage international shipping (not all retailers don't want to ship though). Still, it's good for a real belly laugh.
funny_zpsfmk3kyaq.png

Last edited:
It's the same story on a lot of either products or shipping. I usually put off purchases till I can get across the border. Another item was vacuum sealers. One that I was looking at (can't remember the make) was around $199 in the U.S. Up here, they wanted $900 (on amaz dot ca). The only reason is that they don't want to ship here. And that's ok too but they do lose a lot of business by doing that. It's got a lot to do with the FX rate but also the hassles our border customs agents do. No duty on stuff made in US (or Mexico) is the only good part. But then, we have to spend two days in your lovely country which unless we're going on a two mini-vac, really wipes out any savings.

The best way is for one of those ship-to brokers who, for $5 (maybe $7 now??) per item, anything can be sent there for me to pickup. Most of your stores have free shipping above a certain amount to anywhere in the conus.

My point in this thread was just the stupid shipping costs (which is only meant to deter cross-border shipping).

Back