Side-by-side testing this coming weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Taylor

TVWBB All-Star
I will again be hosting a Packer party this weekend and plan on doing some taste testing. I fear I will be overcome with grief on the outcome of the game, so will test during the 1st quarter(don't want any knives around at the end! LOL).

I will try the Carson's technique as outlined here earlier. Also will try my usual MIM technique(foiling half way thru cook). Not sure about the 3rd batch.

Anyone have any ideas or "new" techniques to suggest? I will use the same rub on all and serve them dry, except for the Carson's. Also, the temps will have to remain at a constant 225? so we have the same variables.

Maybe just cook a batch without foiling or saucing?

BTW, I did another 22 hour butt last weekend for the game and again was amazed at how easy it was and how little fat remained. Started at 2 pm Saturday, got plenty of sleep, up at 8:30 am. Needed to add some more coals....it was very windy during the day...though just a small amount to keep the butt warm until game time.

Good morning, Stogie.

What about parboiling the 3rd batch? I hear lots of great things about that technique on TV. Just kidding!

I'd be interested in seeing (and tasting!) the difference, if any, in the texture between your MIM technique and those done "naked." I've never given foiling a try before because I assumed the texture will be too soft.

BTW - Will you be coming back to Minnesota in May this year? If so, I'd like to look you up and finally meet you in person. Even if I'm not picked to judge, I'll probably still go up just to sip bourbon with Grandpa Cheese and the boys from Red Wing.

Looking forward to hearing your results.

Ken

What's preventing the world's fattest man from becoming the world's greatest hockey goalie?

Hi Stogie. I have been hoping someone would try what I have been doing with brisket--using plain yogurt as a marinade. Coat the brisket, put the rub on, and let it sit overnight. I think it helps especially with the smaller flats that I have to use sometimes. Maybe there isn't really any difference but if you try it let me know what you think.

Ken,

You should try it the next time you whip up some ribs. Even if you only do one rack, cut in half.
I sure hope we can make it up to Minnesota again! I will keep you aprised.

MaryAnn,

OK, you got it! You think trying on ribs is OK? I will marinate in Yogurt(even though yogurt is very repulsive to me!! LOL). I assume you slather on like mustard?

What about a flavored one? Though I would not use a flvored one on brisket, I think it might work on ribs. Maybe I will try one of each..plain and flavored..I'll go with cherry. That way I can tell the folks that the red they see in the meat is the cherry!!

Thanks for the input. I will give you a full report on Monday....hopefully!

Stogie, Kevin, BBQGURU,

You say that in your MIM yechnique you foil halfway throughout your cook. How long do you cook your spares? If 7-9 hours do you foil them at the 3.5-4.5 hour mark and then foil them for the same amount?

RESULTS........

I cooked 6 racks of baby's as was discussed earlier.....2 each of Carson's, MIM and Yogurt.

All were consumed in short order and all came very edible! The winner by a long shot was the MIM...which were foiled half way thru the cook. I personally didn't care for the taste of these because of the rub I used...not sweet enough and it seemed to clash with the brown sugar and apple mop I used.

The Carson's came out pretty good...no burning or charring of the meat. This seems to go against conventional wisdom. I used a very thick, sweet sauce, cooked at 225? for 6 hours. If you like to sauce your ribs, I would suggest doing this one.

Yogurt marinade.....these also came out very good. Moist and needed no mopping during the cook. I used plain on one and cherry on the other. The cherry yogurt turned the ribs to a beautiful deep red color, like I have never seen before. I did not detect any cherry flavor, but I had a pungent rub that would not match up well with the sweetness of cherries.

So...I am working on a sweet cherry rub. I think if I were to get the right rub and then foil these, I will have a new competition rib! I like the fact I didn't have to mop(lift the lid).

I learned a lot from this little trial and will continue to experiment.

Thanks to all who suggested ideas.

Jeff.......The MIM technique is done as you mentioned. About half way through the cook, sprinkle with brown sugar, add some mop juice and foil tightly.

I believe the reason folks like these is the tenderness and mositness of the finished product.....the "falling-off-the-bone" that everyone seems to seek. Some BBQ experts may think them TOO tender, so you can change your technique to foil for the last 2 hours or just the last hour.

You can get a reasonably good bark on these by applying your sauce about 30 minutes prior to serving. So, you are actually only foiling for 2 1/2 hours on a 6 hour cook.

Wow 3 hour foiling?? I have been foiling for only an hour and it seems to keep its firmness yet get a lot more juicy. Then again I dont like falling off the bone either. I like juicy but with some texture. I think I will foil for 1 hour and finish on the grill for more texture. Thanks Stogie!

Hey Kev:

I feel like a dolt for asking, but what does the M.I.M. stand for? I checked your home page and couldn't find the answer.

Thanks,

W.D.

P.S. As a Bear fan I can only say that you picked a good weekend to do something useful instead of just watching football. I guess you could say that the Bears and Pack both got smoked.

Hi Dave!

Still recovering from that butt whooping! Yeah we both got smoked alright.

Hey look at the bright side...I won't have to color coordinate around green and gold for many months!! LOL

MIM stands for Memphis in May, which is not only a specific contest, but the name of an organization which sanctions BBQ cook-offs.

Most of these are held in the south...FL, GA, SC, TN..but they do have a couple up in southern IL and IN.

Here is their home page with an events listing...the season just started.
http://www.memphisinmay.org/Barbecue/index.html

Great Kevin!
Another post here in the forum titled "Sacreligous Rib Challenge" also has another Carson's comparison...plus an honest discussion on Carson's restaraunt. Chekc it out!....Thanks for doing the comparison!
PrestonD

Okay Stogie, now I can say "Duh" to myself. I knew about Memphis in May, but not about all the related events - so I'm glad I asked.

I get a kick out of seeing Al Roker do his report from there every year. Is he somewhat of a presense at these events. I'd say he seems to be quite a fan of B.B.Q.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Estrem:
[qb]P.S. As a Bear fan I can only say that you picked a good weekend to do something useful instead of just watching football. I guess you could say that the Bears and Pack both got smoked.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just catching up on some older threads. Football? Sure, I'd love to talk some football.

Happy as a hog in Massachusetts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back