Side burners compared

Tork T

TVWBB Member
Hi All,

Trying to determine what vintage the side burner on my early Genesis is. The hood has been swapped, but the control panel and perhaps the side burner might be original. This is the Ugly Frankengrill I was given...

The burner does not have the under frame ignitor, but does have the pin/cotter key holding on the igniter button, and there is no part number on the top side. Additionally, the trivet has a different shape than the 7811 burner off my 2003 silver c.

Anyone know what vintage the frankengrill side burner might be?

I'll include pics of both burners and the frankengrill for reference.

Frankengrill, but perhaps it's just a hood swap... and the side burner is original:
107815427_10216791839645099_1270223795843467906_o.jpg

Below are the control panel and burner off the frankengrill:

IMG_8543.jpg

This is the underside of the side burner:

IMG_8542.jpg

Below is the side burner off the Silver C
IMG_8545.jpg

The burner is like mine (a Gen 3)...single wire igniter, no plastic frame around the rocker, hinge pin with cotter pin for the rocker pivot. From my limited understanding, I think frankengrill is mostly a very early Genesis 3 with a later lid.

Yep, same trivet, too.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-07-25 154435.png
    Annotation 2020-07-25 154435.png
    287.1 KB · Views: 11
Thanks Ed-

Is this burner a later model than the "under the frame ignitor" burner from some early models?

Here is the inside of the burner:
IMG_8547.jpg

I'm trying to get a side burner for my 1993 Gen 2000 and I have two options: The frankengrill burner or the Silver C burner.

Ed, it looks like older burner would work fine, although I don't see how it would mount into the space where my work space is. Friction only?
IMG_8414.JPG

Why wouldn't it fit? There is a ss clip that holds in place...you can still buy them [HERE].

EDIT: The early burner from frankengrill, I mean. It was sold as an accessory if you didn't buy one when you bought the grill, from what I know.
EDIT2: You will likely want a propane coupler as used on later models for convenience if you plan on swapping table and burner from time to time.

Attachments

• 471001 Burner Clip.png
    471001 Burner Clip.png
    445.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Tork
I think your side burner may not be original to your grill. The old print adds show the style with the igniter under the frame rail. I think your burner was added added later. Looking at your grill picture, I see black knobs with black pointers and the bottom boards look to be full width slats. I would be interested to see the underside of the flip up table.
My dad's grill is an 87 and it has black knobs with white pointers and the bottom boards were two narrow boards pushed together to make it look wide withe a piece of wood stapling them together.

I also have an older than 87 Genesis that has the fully black knobs, wider bottom boards and rickety swing up table hardware, and it had the side burner with the igniter under the frame.

So, if your grill is indeed as early as I think, and I'm thinking 85-86, it should have the side burner with the igniter under the frame. Unless they only made that side burner for the first year?

Gerry

Yes, I saw your beauty with the under frame ignitor. That's what made me wonder what the heck side burner I have. Here are pics fo the under side of the table and longer slats. IMG_8551.JPG
IMG_8549.JPG

Why wouldn't it fit? There is a ss clip that holds in place...you can still buy them [HERE].

EDIT: The early burner from frankengrill, I mean. It was sold as an accessory if you didn't buy one when you bought the grill, from what I know.
EDIT2: You will likely want a propane coupler as used on later models for convenience if you plan on swapping table and burner from time to time.
Hey Ed-

I found the burner clip! Of course it was unattached to the burner.

Is the coupler a quick disconnect operation? Where might I get a coupler?

Thanks!

Your swing up table uses the same hardware as my dad's '87 Genesis. Why is the end of the support rod aimed up? When the table is down, the support rod hooks around the rear leg. The odd thing is that your lower boards are wide, but their z bars have four screw holes. Those would have been used for the narrow boards. This picture is from a grill I just picked up for another forum member
1596503297673.png

My dad's grill had the same z bars as yours, with the extra screw holes. I assumed they had a large inventory of them left over from from when they used the wider boards, and drilled the extra holes when they went to narrow slats. Once they used up that inventory, they would have just used the four hole z bars. This is all speculation on my part, but it make sense.

Here's what the z bars looked like when Weber used the wide slats on the bottom.IMG_20200803_203007361.jpg

With all this being said, it's possible that there was some parts swapping done on your grill in the past, and maybe your side burner is original to your grill.

Gerry

Last edited:
What do you have for ports on your manifold?

EDIT: My Silver C has the couplings. It's functions just like an air line coupler. This isn't what you need, but conceptualize from this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNOATI/?tag=TVWB-20
I have the coupler (didn’t know until I just checked). The Silver C is a nice rig with side burner and no rust. I do like my redhead 2000 with the wood tho.
Things got quickly out of hand... free grills and now I have four and a bunch of parts.
The silver C does not have a side table on the right. Does yours?

Gerry-
The end of the table support bar aims up when the table is down because there is NO bolt holding the firebox to the frame so the bolt hole is available! Simple modification. Ha!

My uneducated guess is that the wood and z bars are original.

Sadly, I think I’ve got to part this rig out- the frame could be resuscitated but the rust will take some decent effort. The firebox has a bow in the front and a bow in the bottom ridge of the firebox. If I were to keep it I might think differently but my 2000 is my keeper... though I do like the Blue hood I just picked up.... Weber insanity!

The silver C does not have a side table on the right. Does yours?
Not yet! But unlike the earlier grills, left and right are not interchangeable so it might be a while before I find a pair.

The Silver C is 4-1/2" longer than the Gen3 because of the left side handle, same width frame, 1" taller at the grate, but it feels like a larger grill to me. The thermoset tables are much more practical than the slats, IMO.

Last edited:
The Silver C is a nice rig with side burner and no rust. I do like my redhead 2000 with the wood tho.
Things got quickly out of hand...
I know exactly what you are saying there! I like the wood look, but the Siver C is a very nice grill. Dang Weberitis!

Here's what the z bars looked like when Weber used the wide slats on the bottom.View attachment 10978

With all this being said, it's possible that there was some parts swapping done on your grill in the past, and maybe your side burner is original to your grill.

Gerry
Gerry: I have several of those sized Z bars. I didn't know what they were for until now. Thanks.

Back