Should the water pan be used when cooking chicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Everyone, Should I fill the waterpan with water to cook two butterflyed chickens or empty water pan? Also what Temp should I try for and how long to cook. I know in the cooking forum Chris uses the water pan and stays around 250 Degrees, but I think I read somewhere on the site that some go for 350 and no water in pan. The last time I tried Beer can chicken it did not get done on the inside after 4-5 hours at 250. Any help will be appreciated. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

These are the recommendations I found here on the forum. They have worked for me:

Empty water pan lined with foil. 325 to 350 target temp. Between 1 and 2 chimneys of charcoal fully lit.(depends on how much meat you are cooking)

I go by internal meat temp and not times. I guess SmokinOkie said it best, "Its done when its done."

Good luck and when's dinner!!

Hey Steve, I've done that same cook several times and used the method that Jim outlined. Foil lined pan and fully lit charcoal. It's never taken me more then 1 1/2 hours with temps around 300-325.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back