Should I get the 18.5 or 22.5 Weber OTS

P Mata

A little bit of background:

I currently own a new braunfels grill (I think they're charbroil now) with an offset smoker. I am rather new to grilling and I bought it because I wanted to learn how to smoke as well. It really didn't work out very well though. It has way too many gaps, the metal is paper thin, and it was very difficult to maintain the temp up without using A LOT of charcoal. Anyways, I ended up just using it as a grill, but I have a lot of problems with flare-ups and it's way to big since I only grill for 3. It only comes in handy when I have the family come over for a cookout.

Now I want to purchase a Weber 18.5 silver so I can grill in small quantities but the 22.5 is only $20 more and it kinda hurts to pass up on that much more grill for only $20. I'd love to try indirect cooking again and I think the 22.5 would allow me to do that, but then I'd be left with the same problem of a grill too big and having to use a lot of charcoal. i've tried grilling with less fuel in my NB grill but it burns out really fast, and it just doesn't work. I assume that the same would happen on the 22.5. Am I correct to assume this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Pablo

P.S.
I'm Mexican so what I usually grill the most is Fajitas, chicken, sausage, and "costilla de pecho" which is basically brisket with the bone still in it (very fatty and causes a lot of flare ups) Thanks again and sorry for the long post

If you're going to be cooking something as big as a brisket *costilla de pecho" then I would think you need the extra space a 22" grill would provide. It's very easy to keep the Weber kettles to the temp you want so the larger size won't be an issue when you want to do smaller cooks.

Another option is to get a charcoal basket for the New Braunfels smoker. It will make it easier to use it as a smoker. I have one and use it to barbeque often. Here's a post about my New Braunfels Black Diamond.

Bill

Hayden McCall - "Seeing as how a 22.5" Weber kettle can achieve an internal temperature of 350 degrees with fewer than 15 lit briquettes"

True! I would go for the 22.5 and i did,Now i just asking myself why i dident get the 26".

22" will make you happy but after a year you will be sorry not taking the next step in the first place.

Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
If you're going to be cooking something as big as a brisket *costilla de pecho" then I would think you need the extra space a 22" grill would provide. It's very easy to keep the Weber kettles to the temp you want so the larger size won't be an issue when you want to do smaller cooks.

First of all thank you for the quick replies. Actually costilla de pecho is sliced into roughly 1/4" slices. I don't grill the whole brisket. Just wanted to clarify
icon_smile.gif

But in regards to the 22.5...you say the size wont be an issue with smaller cooks, this applies if I'm direct grilling with the top off?

Kettles are very efficient with fuel so you won't have any worries on that front. Between the 18.5" and the 22.5", I'd go with the 22.5". You'll appreciate the extra space.

If it's in your budget, I suggest taking the next step and buying a 26.75" I opted to buy it over the 22.5". I wanted more real estate for grilling things like carne asada, wings etc. It's also easy to set up for indirect grilling and/or smoking AND has more space to work with.

Well if you are doing a sear only with the lid off(i almost never do that) the 22 dont have any down side at all. Same fuel use for a sear but with the extra space to let the "done before the rest" still get some heat while the "rest" gets done.

Originally posted by P Mata:
But in regards to the 22.5...you say the size wont be an issue with smaller cooks, this applies if I'm direct grilling with the top off?

On the 22" (or 26") grill, if you get a couple of fire bricks (they're a buck or two each) you can section off the cooking area and use much less charcoal. The coals can be two or three deep if you like, which will give you plenty of heat on the direct side and plenty of space on the indirect side. Or you could buy the charcoal baskets and build your fire in the middle. In any event, you'll be able to do smaller cooks very efficiently.

Bill

Thank you so much for all the replies. It seems like it's a unanimous vote for the 22.5, since I can't afford the 26.75
icon_frown.gif

I plan to go buy it tonight after work so I can burn it tomorrow and hopefully cook some ribs or maybe some 'cabrito' (baby goat) on sunday
icon_smile.gif

Bill:
I can't see your pictures on your post, regarding the charcoal basket, because i'm at work and my computer blocks any pictures. I'll take a look at them on my home computer later today so I can get an idea of what you're talking about. Thanks for all your help.

--Pablo

Originally posted by Luis L.:
I'd spring for a used OTG. The ash catcher is so worth it.

This.^^^

Check your local craigslist before you buy a new one. There are usually a few on there that are very close to new condition.

I just got back from buying my 22.5
icon_smile.gif

Are you guys sure I don't have to pre-burn (cure) the grill? Kuz I'd love to grill something right now. It's just that when I bought my NB I disntinctly remember specific instructions to burn the grill because of hazardous chemicals or something?

P.S.
there was nothing on craigslist by the way, ecxcept very expensive homemade bbq pits.
Ima go put it together now, be back in a bit
icon_smile.gif

I already finished assembly and I just lit the charcoal! Thanks to all who posted!
icon_smile.gif

Tomorrow I plan to experiment with some indirect cooking as well. I'm sure I'll be bugging everyone on this board frequently so...thanks in advance
icon_smile.gif

P Mata, the 22 hands down.. but I'd take it a step further and say also look for a used Ranch Kettle so you can fit the whole puerquito or cabrito :>

That 22 won't help you for those large familia gatherings like the Ranch Kettle can. Can also cater with it to help offset the price.

John

Originally posted by P Mata:
I just got back from buying my 22.5
icon_smile.gif

Are you guys sure I don't have to pre-burn (cure) the grill? Kuz I'd love to grill something right now. It's just that when I bought my NB I disntinctly remember specific instructions to burn the grill because of hazardous chemicals or something?

P.S.
there was nothing on craigslist by the way, ecxcept very expensive homemade bbq pits.
Ima go put it together now, be back in a bit
icon_smile.gif

Did you end up getting the silver or gold 22.5"?

I have a virgin OTG i hope to christen tomorrow.

Stefan,

I got the silver. The gold was out of my price range.

I know i'm a beginner when it comes to grilling but man am i impressed with this grill! I used 1 chimney of charcoal and the coals lasted for 1.5 hrs! I can never get more than 45mins on my NB. But most impressive was how easy it was to control the flare-ups by simply placing the lid on. I could literally see the flames dying trough the top vents in a matter of seconds. My NB seems to make the flares worse when i close it for some reason.

I know I have a lot to learn but I'm really looking forward to it
icon_smile.gif

Oh, by the way, the food was delicious. I grilled some split leg quarters, tilapia fish fillets (wrapped in foil) green onions and asparagus.

Sounds like yer hooked Pablo! Remember pic's or it never happened. ha-ha

Oh, and congrats on joining the Weber team.
icon_wink.gif

Pablo congrats to the new grill!

I would mark the silver like THIS its a great start of doing low´n´slow on the kettle.

And a setup like this:
Picture690.jpg

Will get you a nice indirect smoker.
Picture693.jpg

Thanks to Robert Oleksak for the pics.

Read up on the Minion method and you will be amazed what this cooker can do!

Now the fun part begins
icon_smile.gif

Back