Should I get a WRK? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Cloud

I've been smokin' and grilling for over 35 years and watched my Dad for years before that. He used a coleman for years and I bought my first Weber in 75. I've used 18", 22" and smokey joes. I even used a smokey joe in Iraq 3 years ago and I had a weber 18" for my year in Kuwait.
I've been using a OTS 22" for the last few years but the number of grandchildren has grown. Now they all like the ribs and butt I like to smoke, but it has become more and more of a challenge on a 22"
My wife suggested the other day that I get the Weber Ranch Kettle. We're having guests (her family from AZ) this summer and she wants me able to fix my Q for about two dozen. She likes the way things come out on the OTS and figures we shouldn't change a good thing. I like the fact the that shape is the same and I think there's enough room to fix all I want to.

I have smoked whole pigs in the past and I rented a trailer smoker to do that. I figure if I want to do another one again I'll rent the trailer or dig a pit (I've got enough property to do this if I want to).

So, what do you think? Anyone here have a WRK or can tell me anything about it? Thanks.

Well, Ive been in the same boat. I wanted to get a 26 kettle becuase, when I cook brats and hamburgers, I run out of room really fast. I have a 22" WSM for my smoking needs, but Ive always wanted a Ranch Kettle. I had a hard time justifing the price.

The more I thought about it, even with steaks, potatoes, corn on the cob, and having larger cook outs I might still run out of room. Which wouldnt have been a big deal, as Id still have my 22" kettle just in case.

Well, my wife decided to surprise me, and get me a Ranch Kettle for my birthday (although its 8months early). The place were we ordered it from said 3-4, so I dont have it yet. But these were some of the things that were going through my head, and the justifications that I made to justify it.

Eddy,
I have a Ranch Kettle, but have not used it yet.
It was a craigslist find, and was purchased mainly for this Spring's family reunion.

If you haven't seen one in person, they are Huge and very impressive!

Personally, if I planned to buy new, and wanted a lot of grill space, I would consider buying 2 of the 26 inchers. Two of these cost about $400 less than a RK alone, and would give many more cooking options, IMO.

Good luck with your decision!
Bob

Have you looked at the 26" One Touch Gold? I saw one at our local hardware store and they are impressively big.

Pat

I have seen a WRK in person a few years ago and that's what impressed me so much about it. I have 5 kids and 8 grandkids and it's not unusual to have most them over with guests so I need the space. I will still have the 22" OTS for the smaller cooks.

Is craig's list a good place to look for these? I've never been to CL, but I think I'll give them a look.

A Weber customer service rep once told me that rental places are good place to find a used Ranch Kettle. She suggested calling them and asking if they had a Ranch kettle for rent, then ask if they would consider selling it and if so, at what price. She said that was a good way to get a used Ranch Kettle at a reasonable price.

I haven't tried it - I only have occasion to use a grill the size of the Ranch Kettle once a year at the cottage in Michigan, but my friend and I keep a look out for them on CL there.

Pat

Yes. I love mine and, IMHO, needs better marketing from Weber. While it's true you can feed an army with one, the real genius of the RK is that you can cook over whole logs and have tremendous temperature control that only a wide and deep kettle can provide. I often use it, especially for steaks, and not only when the neighborhood shows up.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back