Should I Change my Plans?

JimT

TVWBB Pro
I started two rather thin (1" to 1 1/2") brisket flats at 7:00 this morning. My plan was to try the "Smoked & Oven Finished" method Chris describes in the Cooking section. It is now 10:00 and both pieces around 165 degrees, nearly time to pull and foil. My estimate is that they will be done by noon or so if I continue this method.

Can I keep them warm in the cooler for 7 or 8 hours? That seems like an awfully long time.

Should I just continue to cook them in the smoker? I'm afraid they will be quite dry, since they are so thin.

Looking for suggestion, and quickly,

JimT

They will not hold 7-8 hours.

You can do the same thing as the oven-finished method by foiling separately and putting them back in the WSM. I wouldn't bump the temp up on the cooker though; the cooking will speed up anyway. Take to a few degrees shy of target, pull, and rest an hour or two in a cooler with towels. If dinner is distant, unwrap the flats (saving any juices to add to your sauce) and cool in the fridge, unwrapped, 20 min. Re-wrap in plastic. To reheat: Put the meat on a rack in a roasting pan, add a couple T of water, cover tightly and place in a 300 oven. Pull when the internal hits 150. Or, heat some sauce to a simmer in your largest frying pan, add a little butter allowing it to melt, slice the brisket thinly against the grain, and lay the slices in the sauce to heat over very low heat, covered, for just a few min. Normally I prefer the first way--it works well with thick roasts; kind of a crap shoot with thin ones.

Thin flats are tricky and you're somewhat at a loss at the beginning.

Thanks Kevin, your ideas sound good.

As an update, the cooker was running a little hot at first (245 - 250.) Now that I've got it down to the 220 - 225 range, the cooking rate has decreased dramaticall. In fact both probes (one in the top, one in the bottom) show a slight DECREASE in temp. I stuck an instant read thermometer in the thicker part of the top one and it read 155.

Perhaps all is well!

JimT

The temp drop is due to internal rendering--a good thing--what we call the plateau.

Btw, regardless what you choose to do it can be helpful to have a pot of sauce hot and at the ready before serving decision time--it allows you to cheat plating if need be. Heat some sauce, add a little butter and your reserved juices, if any, and stir well. (The solids in butter help with mouthfeel. You don't need much (2 t-1 T/cup sauce) but can use quite a bit if warranted. In that case it needs to be unsalted butter or you risk a salty finish. You can also mix sauce with stock for a finish--say 2 parts sauce, 1 part beef stock, 1 part chicken stock plus butter.)

Anyway, if you slice your meat and it's unacceptably dry you can chop it fairly finely, put it in a bowl, and add sauce to it, a T at a time, till just past 'moistened' and serve. A rice or baked potato side is handy here. Butter the rice or potato and serve the sauce-moistened chopped brisket on top, as if that had been the plan from the beginning. Of course, if you're serving sandwiches they simply become 'chopped brisket' sandwiches.

Brisket slices--even if moist when first sliced--do not stay as moist over time. Slice as close to serving as possible. You can dip the slices in your hot sauce mix before plating. That'll help.

Thanks for the tips Kevin!!!

I think I'll save them in about 3 different places on my hard drive, and print out about 15 copies just so I don't loose them.
icon_wink.gif

All is well. Problem #1 turned out to be a defective (brand new, first time used) Maverick ET-73. On the second reset, it died completely. Put in a fresh set of batteries (not Duracell) and the transmitter still would not even come alive. Blank LCD, nothing, nada. Yes, I did turn it on and off several times.

Problem #2 would have to be my own inexperience. The Maverick, clipped to the top grate, showed from the very beginning a temp that was higher than my 4" lid mounted thermometer. All I could think of was, "how strange." I shouda known something was wrong.

Anyway, to cut this long story short, I got things under control. The flats came off the WSM at 3:00 (8 hours) showing 170* and 172*, looking and smelling great. Thet're now in the oven at 300*, temps are climbing, the smell is permeating the house, and everyone wants to eat NOW!

Patience everyone, patience.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks Again,

JimT

Back