Should I buy an extra manifold?

Lance-DjL

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone.

I've had my Summit C4 Platinum since 2009 and I really love it. I'm planning on keeping it for as long as I can.

I'm storing a new hood and cookbox that I got from Weber using the warranty. Other than the original cookbox and hood (rust issues), everything else seems to be in good condition.

My question is, do manifolds easily fail and should I purchase one from Weber (while it's in stock) and store it for further use. The part is around $150 with shipping.

As always, Thanks for your insight.

Last edited:
I would not invest in a spare manifold unless it was a lot cheaper. They are not considered points of failure and if you do need one, you can probably find one off a donor grill down the road that has been scrapped for the other more chronic problems associated with those grills.

First of all, If your cookbox and lid are shot, I would put the new ones on. No sense grilling with a crappy grill just to have nice parts in storage.

You might consider saving the old rusty ones, but that is a different issue altogether.

I would be tempted with the manifold but probably pass. My original Genesis Silver A did fail due to a valve issue after 20 years. The manifold was still available, but pricey. I was eventually able to repair the offending valve, but it wasn't easy.

Of course, in the meantime, I picked up other Genesis grills for free so there is that too. They are not exactly collector's items.

Thanks Bruce. I had no ideal how well the Weber manifolds would hold up.

Do you think there are enough Summit Silver, Gold and Platinum C's in the wild to get spare parts from? I'm not actively looking but I rarely see any C4's.

Lance: They do show up from time to time. Just keep your eyes out and pounce when you see one. Then strip it for all the parts you think you might need down the road. The cookbox failing is common and result in a lot of them being pushed to the curb. Also, rusted out cook boxes is another reason they routinely are discarded. If you are near any metro areas, you should not a have a lot of trouble finding a parts grill. And it will likely cost less than just the manifold would.

Give it some time to find one. I am sure the new manifold won't get discontinued right away and will there if you decide to go that route.

Hi Scott. The cookbox is not shot yet so I hope I can use it for a few more seasons.

I was wondering if the manifold is hard to work with so I'm glad you chimed in with your experience. Thanks.

To add to Bruce's comments, a parts grill manifold needs to match the gas supply you use (Natural gas vs. propane). Everything else can be swapped in, but but aware that about 50% of parts grills won't have the one part you are really looking for.

Back