Short Ribs?

Jeff Fried

I have some great looking short ribs that I will smoke tomorrow. Can anyone advise re: type of wood, temp and cook time, sauce/rub, what to booze up on during cook etc? I assume that the prep is the same for regular beef ribs. Is the cooking process basically the same?

The cooking process is pretty much the same as everything else. Same prep, pit temp and rubs...some prefer less sugar. Cook time will be longer than normal ribs...use a toothpick and good luck.

As far as wood Id day hickory with maybe a bit of misquite...it is beef afterall.

Thanks Jim. I have hear that mesquite is a bit overpowering for beef/pork, but I have a bag of chunks and may as well try it.

Funny you mention this. I just finished the last short ribs from a Monday cook.
I used the "Louis Charles Henley's All-Purpose Rub" found in the cooking section under brisket. I smoked @ 230°F-250°F using only the Kingsford Mesquite charcoal And finished with KC Masterpiece "Spicy Original". Total cook time was a little under 6 hours.

Misquite can definately be overpowering in flavor. However, that is why I say a bit of misquite...I always use it along with another wood, either hickory, apple or cherry. Usually a 2:1 ratio.

Hickory an mesquite it will be. I just finished trimming and removing membranes an I feel like I went 12 rounds with Joe Frazier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just finished trimming and removing membranes an I feel like I went 12 rounds with Joe Frazier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah, some how I missed about 1/4 of it on one slab. No problem it was still great. I always seem to get a great satisfied feeling when I finish beef ribs. I think it's that caveman factor.

I just did my first short ribs this weekend. I wasn't sure what to do with them, so I just used some Texas BBQ Rub on them and smoked 'em for about 6 hrs. I used a toothpick to tell when they were done and served them with some 5:1 KC Masterpiece and honey. I think I still like pork ribs better, but I had some big beef rib fans there and they loved 'em. I had a safety net of chicken and butt too, just in case the ribs didn't go well, but go they did!

Back