Short or Long/Foil or No Foil/Boston Butts

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Found three boneless Boston Butts (about 14 lbs. total) today for $1.49 a lb. Right now they're in the frig, wrapped in saran wrap, after a coating of Traeger pork rub and yellow mustard.

I've seen a webpage for both the long form of cooking BBs and a shorter cook time using foil. The question here is: Is it that important to get the "Mr. Brown" effect when done? One of the drawbacks for foiling, it says, is you don't get the crispy outside layer--but you cut your cook time done to about eight hours. Hmmm.

If I go with the long method I'll be doing my first long cook during the night. Is THAT a good idea?

You may as well go all night. You're going to be too keyed up to sleep anyway..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kyle....

Go with the long way...too often I am seeing lots of shortcuts(other forums) because folks don't want to spend the time, it's too long for overnight, yada, yada, yada......

BBQ is all about cooking low and SLOW..that means a long time. I am a FIRM believer that the longer times yield a much better product.

Overnight cooks are very easy....just give yourself 2 hours(this is the absolute minimum) to stabilize the cooker temp. You will get up early because of the anticipation anyway and then you can check it again.

Besides....your buddies will think you are certifiably crazy cooking all night long!!

Hi Kyle,
You've got three butts so you could do a test. I agree with Pat and Stogie -low and slow, but why not put two butts on early and add the other before bed, then you can decide which you like better for yourself. An eight hour butt is almost sacrilrege but you'll never know 'till you try it for yourself. It'll all taste good, just some you'll like beter.
Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kyle Dye:
[qb]Found three boneless Boston Butts (about 14 lbs. total) today for $1.49 a lb. Right now they're in the frig, wrapped in saran wrap, after a coating of Traeger pork rub and yellow mustard.

I've seen a webpage for both the long form of cooking BBs and a shorter cook time using foil. The question here is: Is it that important to get the "Mr. Brown" effect when done? One of the drawbacks for foiling, it says, is you don't get the crispy outside layer--but you cut your cook time done to about eight hours. Hmmm.

If I go with the long method I'll be doing my first long cook during the night. Is THAT a good idea?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Kyle,
You've got some good replies here.
I've cooked many butts, first on an ECB, and now on the WSM.
There is no benefit to rushing the cooking time on pork shoulder cuts.
I've never foiled a butt, and can't see a reason to do so.
The long cooking time is important to making the butt tender and pullable, and the bark on the outside is a great complement to the sweet, tender interior meat.
Go for the long cook! Trust me,it's well worth it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Just my .02
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back