Shark Steaks

Dan N.

TVWBB Pro
I know I'm grilling but need a quick answer and most people look here first (I do). For tuna steaks I usually grill to medium rare (105º with a little rest). Is it the same for shark? Or should it be a little more well done.

Dan, most shark steaks I have eaten have much less fat/oils than the tuna steak, kind of almost like a chicken breast. If it's not cooked right it will be dry.

I would brush with oil, season, add lemon, and wrap in foil and then on grill for a few minutes on each side. This way all juices stay in with the fish.

John

My plan is to sear for a minute or two on each side and then indirect. Just need to know - rare inside like tuna or a little more done.

Thanks for the quick reply. They have been coated with EVOO and Tsunami Spin (Dizzy Pig stuff I use all the time for seafood).

Going on now - .............. Later.

I'm late here but:

Shark should be cooked through--just through--not rare, med-rare, med, etc.

They marinate well too.

I cook mako entirely direct, black tip direct/indirect.

OK John - I compromised. Seared 2 minutes each side and then into foil over indirect heat. Covered with foil initially (for 5 minutes)but then took off cover (for another 5 minutes). Went to 120º and then time to eat. I will have shark again.

Thanks for your help. And now Chris you can move this.

Kevin - I missed your response. 120º seemed to be a good temp. No pink, but real juicy. My wife and I both loved the flavor and texture. Definitely not as "meaty" as tuna and so needs a little more cooking time. Will definitely do again with a little research on marinades, etc.

Not sure what kind this was - grocery store variety.

Thanks ya all. Great supper.

Dan; do the Shark steaks taste comparable to other varieties of fish, or does it have a flavor all its own? Thanks!

Bob - first of all, I think my taste buds are all shot (too much BBQ). But it is a very distinctive taste, not fishy at all. I think I prefer it over tuna. I'm sure Kevin or some of the other greats on this forum will chime in, but obviously your marinade/rub will impact the taste. I just found it to be very flavorable and something I will try again. Have had at restaurants, but what I did sure beat the H out of them.

Dan

Shark, like most fish should be cooked until it is opaque in the middle and then covered with foil and allowed to rest for 5 minutes. The latent heat will continue to cook the fish and retain the moistness. The firm flesh of shark lends itself to many different marinates and rubs.
Shark is a great fish to eat and has a variety of flavours depending on the type of shark, it's diet and it's habitat. Shark generally has dark and white meat. I try to avoid the dark meat when cooking a lot of dishes. The dark meat carries the blood and generally has a iodine taste. In some sharks this is very distinctive. When my boys and I catch a shark we will kill it instantly and then bleed it to reduce the iodine taste. By killingit instantly the shark does not pump adrenaline around its body. We sometimes will use the white flesh for sushumi or cook it in small strips by soaking it in lemon juice. the acid in the lemon juice cooks the fish and gives it a distinctive taste. This is great served with a dry sparkling wine or a lager.

Regards

So true. Shark must be bled immediately. It's a nitrogen compound in their blood which deteriorates rather quickly into ammonia if bleeding doesn't occur swiftly. (If there is a mild odor brining will fix that. If the odor is at all strong don't buy it.)

I introduced shark to the Florida restaurant market in '86. Despite being available in the waters there, it was totally unavailable in the commercial fish markets--as was many other things. I was told the 'only fish you can sell--the only fish people will buy--is salmon, grouper, dolphin, and red snapper'.

Nonsense. I refused to buy from the fish houses and instead developed my own contacts: two brothers that brokered for me in the Keys, Louisiana, Texas, western South America and Mexico; Pike Place Fish in Seattle; and a Boston broker that handled NE shellfish and Norwegian salmon. I had everything I wanted packed in ice on ship, brought directly to the airport and flown in cargo. We made airport runs every day at 3, opened at 6 for dinner. Some time between 4 and 5:45 I decided what we were doing with what, wrote and printed the menu for the evening and we were good to go. Lotta fun. Sold hundreds of pounds of fish every week that all the local providers insisted no one would ever order. Within the year they were all carrying the stuff I was shipping in.

Mako, my favorite shark, was an interesting menu item then. Virtually no customers had ever had it. We gave samples of all the new items to the FOH staff just before opening so that they could pitch it. Mako sold particularly well. Some staff would describe it as very much like meat in texture and in fact it can be.

We always grilled it and always marinated it in one marinade or another. My garde manger, Georges, from Haiti, one evening on a day that we had Mako come in, asked if he could make the marinade his mother made when he was a child. It was a puree of shallot, scallion, lime, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro and oil. It was very good--one of the most popular of the dozens of marinades we made. Another was a lemon grass, carambola, ginger, garlic, oil one.

Shark is also very good marinated, cubed, skewered and grilled--as is, on fragrant rice, perhaps, or in soft tacos made with corn tortillas, a little fresh tomato-pineapple salsa, cilantro and lime. Makes a nice lunch or first course.

Gut and bleed before it even makes the cooler if I plan on keeping for dinner fare. My favorite prep for shark is to cut it into nuggets and then marinate several hours in straight buttermilk (stir every hour or so). Then drain and coat with your favorite seafood breading, I use "House of Autry". Deep fry and serve with tarter sauce or whatever. You can add cayenne, granulated garlic, onion or anything else you desire to the breading for seasoning. Buttermilk will pull or absorb the foul taste from shark depending on which species you are going to plate. Have also used it on catfish with good results when it is fishy tasting.

Back