Setting up Stoker on a WRT54GS

Thanks Jim.

You can easily set up the log to email you your graphs also.
I'm curious? What do you use the Timer program for? To change your temp automatically? What would one cook that uses a ramp? How would you know when to change temps?

Thanks
Rick

You can use it like the Ramp Mode the Guru has.Example pit 250 the meat your cooking your taking off at 145.You set the Ramp Event in the timer program to change the temp of the pit from 250 to 200 when the meat reaches 105. Set another Ramp Event to set the pit to 175 when the meat hits 130 and the last Ramp event lowers the pit to 150 when the meat hits 140.The other end which is somewhere else on this site is with like turkey where the pit is 225 until the turkey reaches 100 then a ramp event is set to raises the pit temp to 300 to finish off the cook. I do this also in just the reverse where I start with a high temp then go down.Because of using a Guru for years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Schuebel:
Jim,
Am I right that the StokerLog program can be accessed, and parameters changed, via BBerry or internet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The answer is NO for the fomer. On your phone, you only get reports/graphs. If you want to change anything, you have to use the browser interface to stoker to change it.

Of course, if you set up internet access for the stoker, then my program will also run remotely and able to change all the settings and give you full control (may have to check "http only" if you can't open a telnet port).

Amir,
I do have the Stoker set up for internet access but I can't get the stokerlog, box checked or unchecked from the web. I don't understand how to connect to your program via the internet. I am entering the same IP address in the address box on the stokerlog program as I enter in the web browser to access the Stoker. Is this correct? I am accessing the Stoker viaa port 80. If I forward telnet port 23, what is it forwarded to? Not the same as the Stoker.?

Thanks for the clarification of the earlier.

Rick

If you are having to use an upper port like 8081, you have to list that with the ip address. ex 54.123.12.156:8081 , in this case, you'd have to use the http interface.

Ken,

Where do I forward port 8081 to on the router, or do I? I have port 80 forwarded to the Stoker at 192.168.1.50.

Thanks
Rick

Rick,

assuming port 23 is not blocked from your ISP just forward port 23 to the stoker as well so that you have 2 rules listed:

Port 80 goes to 80 on the stoker
port 23 goes to 23 on the sotker

You can then test is by opening a telnet connection to it from the internet:

telnet MY_WAN_IP_ADDRESS

and you should be asked to login.

-rob

-rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Schuebel:
Ken,

Where do I forward port 8081 to on the router, or do I? I have port 80 forwarded to the Stoker at 192.168.1.50.

Thanks
Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you able to accress the stoker from outside your network, by using http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx , the x's being your router's IP address to the internet. If you can then port 80 is not blocked by your ISP, and the Stokerlog will work simply by putting that internet IP address in the ip address for the Stoker log. You will also have to forward port 23 to the same Stoker address in your router for the telenet interface to work. After you enter the IP, tab out of the field, then hit the F5 to refresh. It should see your probes and blowers.

I hope I'm not boring you by telling you stuff you already know, it's just that I don't know what you know.

I don't think so. Stoker log accesses the stoker's HTTP server using:

http://dnsaddress

You don't need to specify a telnet port number if you are not port mapping which you are not. So if you just uncheck the HTTP ONLY box it should work.

-rob

Yes Ken, I have the Stoker set up to outside access. I have a dns address to access from internet. Do I then enter that address with :23 into stokerlog? And then access it via http://dnsaddress:23 from internet?

Thanks
Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just put in whatever is working in the browser in stokerlog. And check HTTP box to start.

Reason for HTTP box is that Stokerlog uses two ports not one to talk to stoker. One us HTTP, just like the browser. The other telnet. It is possible for traffic to get through using HTTP and not telnet and hence the suggestion.

And yes, you can enter a port number with a colon after the IP address as you noted.

Also, using HTTP mode allows you to have as many sessions of my program as you like. If you do not check that, then only one copy can talk to stoker since the telnet port cannot be shared.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And then access it via http://dnsaddress:23 from internet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amir,

The above URL doesn't make much sense. You're telling your web browser to connect to telnet???

I don't have StokerLog yet installed but I would imagine you are only requiring a URL for the Stoker's http port and your program assumes telnet is running on port 23 of the same host. Are you saying StokerLog is asking for the telnet address/port as well?

I do plan on installing your software soon enough though.

rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (Yankee Rob):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And then access it via http://dnsaddress:23 from INTERNET? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amir,

The above URL doesn't make much sense. You're telling your web browser to connect to telnet???

I don't have StokerLog yet installed but I would imagine you are only requiring a URL for the Stoker's HTTP port and your program assumes telnet is running on port 23 of the same host. Are you saying StokerLog is asking for the telnet address/port as well?

I do plan on installing your software soon enough though.

rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amir is talking about his Stokerlog program. It uses the telnet connection to get information from the stoker by default in addition to the the http interface. He reads probe names, set temperatur information, etc via the http, then logs in under telnet when you press the Start button for logging. He does this so he can get many more data points than is possible by HTTP. With the HTTP interface, you could possible get 4 a minute, but that might be a stretch. With the telnet connection, it's constant, updates every second.

So if you are using the StokerLog remotely, HTTP is the best way to go, and if you also having to translate port, it's the only way to go.

If you're using a browser to connect, then it's not an issue. Stoker always uses the HTTP/port 80 interface and it's up to your router to make the translation if necessary.

To get some idea of the telnet interface, fire up the Stoker and open hyper terminal, start a new session via TCP-IP and point it to the stoker IP and port 23.

You have to go through a login sequence which can be found somewhere on this site. AT any rate, once you log in, and give the appropriate commands, it will stream constant information to you. This is difficult via the Internet to say the least (lots of timing issues).

Cool eh, Amir is a very sharp dude. I'd bet MS misses him very much.

BTW port 23 is the common port for telnet, so don't use that port in the IP address field. The only port you should ever use in that StokerLog field would be a high port used for port 80 translation. ie. your router is translating port 8085 to port 80.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW port 23 is the common port for telnet, so don't use that port in the IP address field. The only port you should ever use in that StokerLog field would be a high port used for port 80 translation. ie. your router is translating port 8085 to port 80. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Ken,

I was aware of most of the above and have actually logged into the telnet port and played around. I plan on writing a Java app that does something similar that I can port to a handheld wireless and use in comps.

I believe in this setup though his port 80 is open and forwarded to the stoker and it works. If he does the same thing to port 23 then everything should work. Are you saying in the above statement that you shouldn't open up port 23 for security reasons? If that's the case then I agree but it should work of he's got port 23 of the router forwarded to 23 of the stoker.

Also, you are implying that the StokerLog software allows you to choose which telnet port to connect to. this is maybe where I am getting lost as I don't have it installed. Makes sense though.

I plan on playing around with your Timers program as well. I love the ramp feature. (I have a Guru competitor as well)

-rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW port 23 is the common port for telnet, so don't use that port in the IP address field. The only port you should ever use in that StokerLog field would be a high port used for port 80 translation. IE. your router is translating port 8085 to port 80. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Ken,

I was aware of most of the above and have actually logged into the telnet port and played around. I plan on writing a Java app that does something similar that I can port to a handheld wireless and use in comps.

I believe in this setup though his port 80 is open and forwarded to the stoker and it works. If he does the same thing to port 23 then everything should work. Are you saying in the above statement that you shouldn't open up port 23 for security reasons? If that's the case then I agree but it should work of he's got port 23 of the router forwarded to 23 of the stoker.

Also, you are implying that the StokerLog software allows you to choose which telnet port to connect to. this is maybe where I am getting lost as I don't have it installed. Makes sense though.

I plan on playing around with your Timers program as well. I love the ramp feature. (I have a Guru competitor as well)

-rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no security issue other than the normal Internet threats. The problem that I have found operating the StokerLog remotely via the telnet, is that information is being sent by the telnet interface faster than the Internet can react. In reality, 4 updates per minute via the HTTP is more than enough. If you have to react in 15 seconds, you better camp out next to the Stoker. The telnet just makes cleaner graphs I think, more data points.

The Stokerlog always uses port 23 for telnet, so if you don't check the HTTP option, it will try a telnet connection on port 23 when you press start. BTW, since you don't have the program yet, the Start simply means, start the recording session.

If you are going to try to run the StokerLog remotely, and want to try the telnet interface, you should also forward port 23 to the Stoker IP address.

I hope this has cleared up any misunderstanding.

I'm glad you are enjoying the StokerTimers program. There is one problem in the programming that will not allow it to run remotly. However, it was written to communicate with a cellphone anyway. I like to start a cook and head out to work or fishing or golf and still get feedback from the Stoker. At the time I wrote this StokerLog would not do that.

There is one more ramp feature of which you may not be aware. You can set a ramp event based upon a timer element. On any of the timer fields, enter a integer value in the minutes, say 60 minutes, then dblclick the corresponing text field. You can tell it to change the cooking temp when that timer interval is reached. Don't forget to press the start timer button.

If the program is accidently closed or it bombs for any reason, when you start it back up, it will contine where it left off. So if you have a timers set for 1 hour, that translates to 1 hour from the time you press start and that is a real time value, lets say 9:35am. If it bombs and you fire it back up, it will see an alarm needs to set for 9:35am and will restart all the pending timers. You will have to manually reset the ramps base on temps however. Don't read anything into the bombing remarks. In most cases the program is more reliable than the power company.

Using the process Ken discribed by double clicking the field works great. Another thing to remember is the StokerLog program has a "Keep Warm " feature that can be made to work like the Guru By changing the percentage of when the ramp down happens. Just like with the Guru it limits are one event.With the Stoker Timers the sky is the limit on how you want to do this.Hot start to crisp the skin on poulty and then drop the temp for slow cooking and you could ramp it up if you have a set meal time if the meat temp hasn't come up fast enough and with the StokerLog set with the keep warm feature it can prevent overcook. I just got the Stoker Status to come up on my Blackberry, now I need to figure how to do these other programs. I just love this software!

Back