Serving a Pork Roast

Allan

TVWBB Fan
This may seem silly, but does anyone not pull their pork roast and instead opt to slice it and serve it as you would, say, a beef roast?

yes I have done that but don't do it routinely because the pulled pork is so special and unique. If you want to slice it, I would take it to around 180. It definitely makes a great sandwich or simply on the plate as part of a regular meal.

You're not going to get as much smoke flavor because with the pulled pork you're mixing the bark in with the interior meat. The smoke will not penetrate the interior of the butt. Still, its very good.

Paul

I always slice my pork. I cook a boneless tenderloin on my Webwer kettle with my rotissierie after letting it sit in apple juice and seasoning over night it sure comes out nice and moist and is always requested by friends and family. I also use applewood for smoking

If you're speaking of butt (shoulder roast), Allan, then yes, frequently. A lower finish temp is in order, as Paul notes. Separate the shoulder at the obvious spots after resting and slice thinly.

Allen,
I do it occasionally myself. I ahve a 7 Qt. Lodge Dutch Oven that I use. I prep the butt as if i was cooking it in the oven but do it on the WSM. I leave the lid off for a while so the butt can get some smoke. I thne put the lid on and cook the roast to about 180-185. I have a small rack that fite in the bottom of the pot so the roast doesn't rest on the bottom of the pot where it would burn. Take out the roast and while it's resting my wife turns the drippings into wonderful gravy! I may ahve to do one soon myself!!

Back