Seperating Point from Flat

Jerry S.

TVWBB Member
I have a 13 lbs. brisket and was wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of seperating the point from the flat prior to cooking. Plan would be to cook the point on the top grate and flat on the lower grate. Assuming 1.5 hours/lbs. and an 8 lbs. flat/5 lbs. point does that reduce my cook time from around 20 hours to about 13 hours?

Assuming I seperate prior to cooking what is the best way to make the cut? I assume it is more of a diagonal cut rather that perpendicular or horizontal.

Thanks

Jerry
I cook 12 to 13 pounder most of the time, I find the cooking times to be 14 to 16 hours most of the time, depends on the fat content of the brisket. The better the grade the shorter cook. I cook at an average pit temp of about 235 unless I have an American Kobe brisket then I lower the pit temp to the 210 range.
Jim

Jerry, keeping the point and flat together during the cook yields a more tender product. The point definately helps keep the meat moist.

If you're worried about the timing of your cook - don't. Take the meat off the smoker and seperate the point. Return the point to the smoker and let the flat rest for 4 hours. After 4 hours everything should be ready to slice and eat. I gotta tell ya - ever since I started cooking packers I've been serving burnt ends. They seem to be more popular than the flat itself.

Back