Sell by April 12, 04

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy

If they smell funky when you open the bag or there are any "unusual" or dark spots on the meat, dump it.

It might be good if you stored it properly, but the most important thing i learned in a whole weekend of traveling from the bed to the bathroom (and spending lotsa time in there... /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif )is :

"Better save than sorry..." /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Don Marco

The local Safeway had whole, bone-in ribeyes in cryo-vac bags for $3.99 at Christmas. It was such a good deal but I don't have a deep freeze. I bought one and had them split it in half. One half I used for prime rib, the other for steaks which I froze. After I tried the steaks, I really wanted another but just didn't have room in the freezer.

I decided to ask the meat manager just how long stuff would last, chilled in a cryo. He said that really they would last indefinitely. I explained to him my situation and here's what he said. Try to buy meat that has a fairly recent pack date. Then if you keep the meat in a cold refrigerator that isn't opened that often (I have one in the garage we keep extra food and cold drinks in)then you could figure it would stay good for at least two months. I was a little reluctant but gave it a try. The ribeye I bought had a Dec. 15th pack date. I bought it Christmas week. Then I left it in the fridge until the middle of February. Since I'd bought it at Safeway I returned there and asked them to cut it on their saw into 1-1/4 steaks. They didn't hesitate. The meat was perfect. One thing I did do was freeze it immediately.

It turned out that that week Albertson's had another sale on ribeyes for the same price. I did the same thing and just had it cut two weeks ago. I have a whole top-sirloin in the fridge now that I bought at Costco three weeks ago. Things have been hectic and will be so it may be until the first of the month before I get a chance to smoke it. But after these past experiences I'm not worried.

Be careful with this. Pork and beef are NOT the same! I agree you can keep beef aging for quite a while, but pork is a whole nother matter! According to Harold McGee's pork breaks down much quicker. He had no time line so not much help there.

I was given a cyro pack of ribs for my birthday, ok, so that may be a little strange, but he loves my Q! Anyway, I didn't get a chance to cook them for a couple of weeks. I opened them 3 days after the sell by date, and they smelled bad and had a dark spot on one rack. I trashed them and called the meat manager at Sams club. He told me to bring him the price sticker off the pack and he would make them up. When I talked to him later he told me that most pork would be good for about 1 week after the sell by date, but don't take any chances.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back