"Select" Brisket's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Anyone ever done a "USDA Select" Brisket? I have only done "Choice" in the past. SuperWally has packers for $1.28lb, for that price might be worth a try. They have a tremendous fat cap on them, but otherwise they look pretty good. I think I saw a post from Keri about not realizing she had "Select" brisket until they were already on the cooker. Can't remember!
icon_eek.gif

Yep, I've done 'em. They're fine. Remember, one of the primary reasons for low and slow is to handle these difficult cuts of meat and make 'em good and tender...!

Give it a try.

I know Ive seen posts from people using select. Granted choice has a bit more marbling but with the fat cap intact I bet you'd be okay. Id cook it fat down like Jim Minion has been saying and give it a go. For the price you could even use one or two to make corned beef.

Thanks Susan and Jim, you gave me the answers I wanted to hear!! I figure for that price how could I go wrong!! Jim you are a mind reader, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Id cook it fat down like Jim Minion has been saying and give it a go. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Was thinking about doing just that!!

TWO!!! You gonna come help us eat it?????
icon_biggrin.gif
That will have to wait until after X-mas to see if Santa Claus brings me a foodsaver!

Larry
With select brisket you may find that you have to cook them a little longer and your finish temp may need to be a little higher.
A case of select brisket is a range of grades, they could be from the low side of choice to the high side of commercial grade.
I would take then another 5 to 10 degrees higher before I foil, say 195 to 200 internal, then into the a dry cooler for a rest.
Jim

Larry - you've got your answers but I wanted to further reassure you that you can get some fine eats from WallyWorld Select briskets. And the price is right! I've cooked several of them, MM, 195 internal, wrapped in cooler for 3 hrs. Mmmmmm.

Richard

All this time I coulda been spending $1.28lb vs. $2.68 - $3.00lb???
icon_eek.gif
I always saw them in the case at Wallyworld, but was skeptical of the select grade. But now I feel much better thanks to you guys! I will let you know how it turns out!

I second Susan's comment. When I was cooking mine I was getting temps all over the place depending on the section of meat I placed the probe. Finally I just got out a carving fork and "felt" when the meat was done. I couldnt believe my eyes the first time I poked it and a whole mess of juice came out. I nearly started jumping up and down.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I nearly started jumping up and down.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I am getting a mental picture of that Jim and it's pretty funny!! Tender Brisket + WSM + Grown Man Jumping for joy = Me ROFLMAO!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I was just thinking I need some brisket. I am going to have to check my local wally. If they are that price I'll pick one for now and freeze another just for when I am suffering withdrawl.

Actually I just want some to make more chili with. Man is that gooooood.

I think I figured out part of what made that select brisket I did the other day turn out so well. The meat market I got it from is the one that supplies the Head Country BBQ teams (the reserve grand Champ of the 2004 KC Royal). Anyway, when I got the brisket, I told 'em (with a grin) that I wanted a brisket from the Head Country private stock shelf. Now that IBP brisket was labeled SELECT, but it was extremely tender. I found out later that the owner keeps some briskets in an aging rotation, and this one had indeed been pulled off of the aging shelf. A few weeks' rest in the cryo under refrigeration does make a difference, even in a select. That's the first one I've gotten that had been aged at the market, though. Usually I stash them in my husband's workshop refrigerator.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keri C:
Usually I stash them in my husband's workshop refrigerator. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We call that the "beerrator"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back