Seeking advice on Mr. Brown

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm smoking two boston butts tommorow. Using the Mr. Brown formula. The two butts weigh a total of 15 lbs. I'm trying to guess at the approximate time to get them to 195 degrees. The receipe suggest an hour and a half per pound. Is this for all 15 lbs. total (i.e. 22 hours) or is that individually (approximately 8 lbs times 1 and a half for a total of 12 hours)? Help is needed for this rookie.

If you look at my post "In honor of IC weekend" the butts were about 7.5 each. Total time to 195* was 13 1/2 hours. This was just for this smoke, the meat is done when its done. With all the variables (weather, the meat itself, avg temp, et.) could be shorter or longer. Plan at least 15 hours to be safe.

Ken.....

My advice is to plan on 2 hrs./lb and then give yourself another 2-4 hrs. Plan your time around the biggest of the butts.

Sounds like this is your first time and most likely you may encounter a problem or 3. Peeking is a natural instinct and will slow your cook down. Plus, cooking 2 butts will add some time to the total.

The wise Barbecuefuscious once said..."Tis easier to hold your butt than to hurry it along"!

Have fun!

Who is this "Barbecuefuscious"? I havent seen many of his posts? Would love to hear more of his wise sayings /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back