"Second Smoke" Discovery

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
Sometimes some cool things are discovered by accident. Last summer we had a big party and I smoked a 10lb Brisket and and 8lb Butt. Because of time constraints I smoked the meat all day the day before. I foiled the pieces and let them sit for about 2 hours before putting them in the fridge. The next morning I put them in the oven at 350 for about an hour and a half, rested them and sliced all of it up.
WOW, it may be my imagination, but the smoke flavor and the rub seemed to be intensified in a good way. Is there something to this or am I having BBQ induced hallucinations?

Not your imagination. Smoke flavor in cooked food intensifies on the day after the smoke and then gradually subsides after that. Good observation!

Rita

That, plus the fact that after you get away from it for a while and get the smoke washed out of your hair and clothes, etc., you notice it more when you pull the meat back out.

Not to say that you may not be having bbq-induced hallucinations, but that particular observation isn't one of them.
icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C

That's true, Keri! I also checked with folks who had not gotten smoked themselves, like we do (most of our friends tend to run the other way when any type of cooking is mentioned but they're looking over your shoulder when the dinnerbell rings), and they verified the heightened smoke flavor the next day. I agree, though, that after smelling all that smoke, it does dull your palate, at least it does mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
...most of our friends tend to run the other way when any type of cooking is mentioned... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ain't that the truth! (But I'd rather be the cook and the driver.

Rita, the volatiles in smoke become less volatile as they cool so you're quite right. Particulates that have settled on the meat stabilize and the intensity seems to be a product of dramatically reduced volatility.

I've found smoke is kind of like perfume. I put it on in the morning, (perfume, not smoke!) and later in the day, I can't really smell it anymore. But, I know not to put anymore on, or I would be overpowering in fragance! Smoke is the same, after having it on you, in your hair, the taste of it that day isn't as strong.

I'd asked this same question some time ago after my first rib cook using BRITU...we found nearly all the flavors to be enhanced the next day and I wondered if anyone waited a day to eat their smoked food on purpose...

My family...who's never around the smoker and the smoke...swears the BBQ is better on day 2...

In any event, I later essentially "catered" a retirement luncheon because our retiring friend loved the food at an earlier home party/cookout we had and requested my BBQ...rather than cook and serve the same day, I cooked the butt overnight the day before and then the ribs and chicken later that day...I stored it in the fridge and reheated the next day at the luncheon...every morsel of food was gone and there was praise all around...my wife is still asked when this will happen again...

I say...if it works...why not do it!

I've been cooking the day before, foiling, putting it in the fridge and then reheating the next day. The method was mentioned in a recipe for smoked brisket on epicurious.com. I think it is a great way to prepare slow cooks and now thanks to this group, I know why....tom

Back