seasoning wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Yesterday I was lucky enough to find a cooperative apple farmer in my area who invited me to cut up a small apple tree that had been destroyed by summer thunderstorms this year. While I was there he also pointed out a pear tree that I could have and as I was leaving a sweet cherry tree. I cut up the smaller 2-3" long 1-2" diameter with the pruner he provided and now have the larger trunks in my garage. I would like to find out if there is any benefit to leaving them and cutting them as I will use them or should I cut them up to chunk size now and just store them and let them dry out (season)?

Also does anyone have experience smoking with sweet cherry?

How long does wood need to season and can I use it now or should I wait? What are the differences I can expect in taste?

I did a search and read Chris's article (Thanks Chris) and readd a bit in "smoke and spice" but I'm looking for a little more info.
I've always loved the taste of applewood smoked pork both bacon and a Q' joint locally feature it but havent had good results in replicating it.

Thanks

Tom,

You might want to consider buying a lottery ticket. You just fell into a source for great smoking woods! Pear is probably my favorite fruitwood for smoking. It may be just my imagination but I always associate a sweeter flavor with cherry than other woods.

As long as you’re sure the wood hasn’t been sprayed with pesticides within the last six months or so, the smaller pieces you’ve got really don’t need much seasoning. They’ll dry out pretty quickly. If the trees had been sprayed recently, wait a few months for the chemicals to dissipate before using the wood. The odds are pretty long anything in the spray would harm you or your family but it’s not worth taking a chance.

As for the trunks, cut them into chunks now since the weather is about ideal for working outside. The trunks will season much quicker as chunks rather than as larger logs. Store your chunks where the air can circulate around them and your supply will last a long time. Of course, if you'd rather take a hatchet to the trunks in a Milwaukee January...

You’ve stumbled onto a good deal. Now go play in the smoke!

Ken

From personal experience and preference:

Season the cherry. Especially if it has sap. Either that or not so much wood. I used (within a few days of falling) heartwood from cherry and it was too strong. Probably cause I used heartwood.

Use the apple right away. It looses power after a year. Nice on turkeys and pork. My favorite.

I am not sure about the pear ? plum is real good fresh. Mellow and sweet; slight distinct flavor.

Go back and get the bigger limbs. You don?t have to cut up the bigger branches right away. One 5ft - 6" limb will fill a good bucket when cut down to 4?-6? pieces and split into thirds.

This weekend I am moving around apple limbs that I had to trim from my orchard. I already have enough to smoke every weekend for a year. I have enough wood for about ten years on the ground.

ANYONE WANT APPLE WOOD? Near henry Illinois. A bit north of Peoria. A while south west from Chicago. Already cut in 5ft or so sections and smaller limbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back