Seasoning wood

Dan Allen

TVWBB Super Fan
Going through the Mesquite vs Hickory thread the subject of using maple came up.

That really got my attention. I've contacted a friend of mine who has maple trees on his property (bonus, so does his brother) so I might have a line on some maple.

Definate noobie question. If I can get my hands on some chunks of maple what is the best way to season them? Do I just leave it piled in a dry place?

Yes. And if you can cut the wood to useable size ahead of time so much the better as it will take much less time to dry.

Dan, I cut all of my own wood to feed my Q habit. I store it multiple ways. Some is left in stacks outside. Not the best, and I wind up using some of this in my fire pit. Some logs 12" to 16" are split into manageable pieces and stacked on a shelf in my garden storage shed. Other pieces are cut and split into usable size chunks that I keep in a Suncast storage unit next to my 2 Q pits. This keeps it readily available and dry along with my thermo, charcoal, chimney, newspapers etc...
I have a stash of maple myself, but have never been pleased with the smell I get when I burn it. Maybe it's the bark.

Back