Seasoning Pork

Bob Hunter

TVWBB Pro
A couple of weeks ago I smoked a couple of Prok butts and froze my left overs. With these left overs I have been making tacos. Basicaly I have a flat iron skillet that I put on my grill heat it up nice and hot, then I add a light layer of EVO and fry up the corn tortillas. Whe the tortillas are finished I take the left over pork and fry it up on the skillet with some chopped onion. Then when we eat we add cinlantro, onion and a squirt of lime juice.

These tacos are pretty good, but I am finding the pork to be a bit bland, no real "Mexican" flavor to it. Any suggestions on what I can do to liven the pork up?

Good suggestion by Jeff. Another option is simply some chili powder and cumin.

for pork I like varying amounts of garlic, cumin, garlic, rosemary and garlic.
icon_biggrin.gif

A little Hungarian paprika can add a little heat as well.

Serve with fresh cilantro.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. For this weekend I went with a mixture of Ancho chili, Chipolte, and a dash of cummin. I also did the meat up with cilantro and onions. Came out pretty good.

I was worried about using too much chili peppers as my kids were partaking as well, but they enjoyed the tacos a lot.

Glad it worked, Bob. The homemade chili powder is the best. Lately, I've been making mine with Chipotle, Ancho, New Mexico and guajillo.

If you want to take it in a different direction and make Cuban-style tacos (which probably don't exist in the real world) try some Mojo on the pork before you heat it. The citrus-garlic-cumin flavors would work well in tacos.

I'm reminded of the America's Test Kitchen recipe for carnitas.

http://www.americastestkitchen...v=recipe&docid=25513

The flavor profile of those ingredients works really well with pork. Basically the same direction as Jon's Mojo suggestion. I would make up some of that sauce, boil it down, drizzle it over your pork and broil it like they did for a crispy finish.

reconstitute some whole dried chiles and grind them to a paste. Smear the paste over the butt before cooking.

Optional add ins: garlic, oregano, vinegar, clove

Back