Seasoned Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Rempe

TVWBB All-Star
Just got my hands on a bunch of applewood. Is there a way to seaon the wood properly, or, tell if it is already seasoned??

Cut it into chunks and knock a few of them together. If it gives you a dull thud, they're not seasoned. If it's more like a light click, chances are it's seasoned enough.
I've found that If I cut branches into chunks they season much faster - a few weeks. Perhaps I'm mad, but I've even gotten away with putting green chunks in a warm oven (while it's cooling down for instance). After a few 'bakes', I've used the chunks without incident. Has anyone else tried this? (I've gone through periods where real wood is hard to come by here up North, hence the desparation..)

Greg, I finally got some applewood this weekend too! Very pleased with the first smoke, a pork loin roast and two chickens.

Rob, thanks for the info, I was wondering myself if my wood was ready. If you're coming through Calgary try Ornamental Landscaping Supply. They sell applewood, hickory and mesquite. The applewood ranges from $400/cord to $3.50 cubic foot.

Greg, I usually burn some in a fireplace or chimenea and observe/listen to it. Sap oozing or bubbling from the wood indicates it's green...Sizzling indicates it need more seasoning time. If you need to season, cut up into fireplace size pieces or smaller and stack so that it can breathe. I would loosely cover it to keep the rain and snow off and definetely keep it up off the ground.

Greg,
If you want to season it right, put some #2 on it!
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
Sorry, buddy! Just messing with you!
icon_wink.gif

Greg, Check the bark. Take a knife and cut the bark off down to the wood. If it's wet and sticky and green it's not seasoned. If it's dry and breaks you got smoke wood. If it's still green follow Bill's advice.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:

If you're coming through Calgary try Ornamental Landscaping Supply. They sell applewood, hickory and mesquite. The applewood ranges from $400/cord to $3.50 cubic foot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shawn - that is excellent news. I had about 8 lbs of apple chunks earlier this year but have used it all up - chicken, salmon, beef / deer jerky, etc - I love it! I'll pick up some hickory too, those are probably my 2 favorites. I'll bring you some cherry to try. (Though I have no idea when that will be)

They are out of hickory for the season, but I'll be first in line next year.

Cherry! Can't wait to try it Rob!

Greg,
To season applewood stack in a real sunny loacation cover from rain or snow.
In a couple of months it will be ready for anything you care to drop on the grill

Cheers

Merc's right if you have cut up logs, they'll get mouldy if you leave em wet. I take my uncut apple and cherry and stak it vertically against the back of the shed (where I [I mean my wife] can't see it) dries fine. And this is rainy England!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back