? Searing meat before smoking?

Jefferey

TVWBB Member
I am doing 2 Chuck Roasts today for Pulled Beef sandwiches later in the day. My question is - Should I sear the bottom side first so that I don't get loss of moisture? Will it affect smoke penetration? Will it even help keep the moisture in? Thanks in advance!

Searing is done more to provide a color and/or texture, it doesn't "seal" the meat. Searing rubbed meat will result in burned rub. Smoke does not penetrate, it only adheres to the outside of the meat. I would just follow whatever chuck roast recipe you find around here that sounds appealing, and forget about a sear-- the color and texture (and moisture) you want will be there at the end of the cook.

Here's a thread to point you in the right direction

In addition to what Doug mentioned, searing also develops flavor from caramelization of the surface of the roast. I do this for some chuck roasts that will be smoked for a while then finished with liquids in a braise. Though I do chucks at high heat which affords some caramelization, I sometimes sear first (often unrubbed, depending on rub ingredients; I rub after searing if I didn't rub before) so that the liquids will take on deeper flavors during the braising phase.

As Doug also notes, smoke does not appreciably penetrate nor does searing 'seal' meat. Searing actually results in a net moisture loss but this loss in negligible in most cases.

Back