Searing Experiment: chimney vs. basket

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
I know several of the seasons are available on DVD if you really want them.

Food network has gone the way of so many before them. I think everything except SAT & SUN AM programming is some sort of competition. How about introducing people to new ingredients and methods rather than reality TV? Their Next foodnetwork "star" series has only turned out duds. The food competitions are a joke when compared to Top Chef.

It's like MTV no longer plays music videos and TLC no longer provides educational programming (Unless you count teaching someone that you can get on TV by being 16 & pregnant). Even the History channel is full of reality shows.

Sorry to get way off topic and on a rant, but I really only need my TV for sports nowadays.

Also sorry to get off topic but I could not agree with you more Josh. I have complained so much about this my wife is getting tired of hearing me rant.

I'm definitely considering cooking my steaks this way tomorrow night. I think I might forgo the cooking grate and put my large CI skillet directly on top of the chimney starter. Has anyone tried that?

the heat of the chimney will likely burn the seasoning off your cast iron - and you won't get that charcoal grilled flavor.

i've done several cooks on my chimney. the one i did the other night actually made my cooking grate glow bright red.

One thing Alton did was place the chimney on top of the steaks. This way you get 100% radiant heat.

I have to say I've tried this method and it's hands down the best steak I've ever cooked.

2-3 mins each side under the chimney then he puts the steak on top of the chimney and covers it with a bowl for another 3-5 mins per side. <-- I use my Gas Grill heated to about 275 to finish the steaks in.

I only have one Chimney starter thus I have to sear the steaks there and then finish them in the gas grill.

How long before someone makes a portable grill, that is essentially a chimney with a top that is fitted for a grate, with a flip-top lid/dome that opens/closes like the top of a coffee carafe ? I mean...a charcoal chimney with a grate on top is every bit a grille minus any kind of lid.

Back