Searing Boneless RibRoast before or after slow cook...

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
I've read about every post I could find on the prime ribs/standing rib roast topics and have decided to go "low and slow" for a ~6llb boneless rib roast I'm cooking tomorrow. Gonna give the garlic herb recipe a whirl.

What I can't decide is when to sear the meat on my gasser. Some folks say at start of cook and others say at the end of the cook. I can make arguments for both ways in my mind.

What do you guys think and or what experience have you had trying the various methods?

tks
-Jason

Jason-- I do not use a gaseer but that's immaterial. The arguments in your mind on both sides are valid. Do it whichever way you feel like on the day of the cook. There is no truth to the myth that searing 'seals in juices' so do what you wish. For me, I do not low/slow rib roasts. I start at a high heat (over 450) for a bit, then lower the temp (300) for the duration. That's the way I like to do them. It is not only way.

I use a method described in Cook's Illustrated magazine. Which is to sear the roast in a cast iron pan or a heavy duty roasting pan then season. Roast at around 200°-225°.

Kevin is quite right about the sealing of juices by searing, it merely makes the outside of the meat look better.

Al

Searing does more than just make the meat look better. Cooking at high temps leads to maillard reactions, which create many complex flavors as carbs and amino acids react. It helps develop that intense "meaty" flavor.

If you want to make your own gravy (au juis), you could sear it in a heavy (i.e. cast iron) dutch oven on all sides. After you move the roast to wherever you're going to cook it, deglaze the dutch oven and make your gravy. Save.

Now you've made me want to make another rib roast! Good luck.

Ed

Results...

Boneless Rib Roast turned out quite nice with two exceptions:

1) too much smoke from the Jack Daniels oak chips..will go with some cherry and only a handful or so next cook.

2) Seared on the gasser around 650*. Well this produced a heck of a sear. Too much. The garlic herb paste uses olive oil as the "glue" and needless to say the flashpoint is much lower than 650 for EVOO. The result was a little too much of a burned flavor on some of the bark before I got the flame under control.

All in all I was very pleased with the results and will do this cook again and sear at the end with a little less open fire (might use a flat cast iron skillet next time) and a different smoke wood and less of it too.

Back