Seared and Smoked Tri-Tip

ScottE

Closed Account
Did a couple of Tri's. One was rubbed with Grizzly Joe's Original, the other with Savory Spice Shoppe Native Texas rub.
Seared them and then smoked em with some ash wood.
Pulled em at 130 internal.
Topped em with some Ranch Style pinto beans.
Life is good on the Left Coast!!
001-56.jpg

002-46.jpg

003-42.jpg

004-32.jpg

i got to make a tri tip twice in the last week. the first night was a full santa maria style meal, tri-tip rubbed with just salt, pepper and garlic powder smoked with old wine barrel oak chunks with pinquito beans and garlic bread. i decided that that just might be my favorite meal. i take a lot of pride in making the best tri tip i can since it's the one piece of barbecue culture that is distinctively Californian. your pictures look great and the meat looks perfectly cooked. thanks for sharing.

Looks good.

How do you like the ash wood? I've got a few ash trees in my yard, but haven't really tried smoking the wood yet.

Hi Matt, I really like ash wood. It burns faster and gives lots of smoke. It doesn't over-power the meat which is what I like. Nice smokey flavor. I don't think I would use it for a long cook but it is great for chickens and when I am in-direct grilling.
It also mixes well with fruit woods.

I get my ash wood from smokealicous. They monitor the moisture of the wood before they sell it!!

Back