Seal on Kettles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
Do the weber kettles typically seal up around the lid/bowl as well as the wsm?

I see a lot of smoke coming out from around the lid as well as top vent. Maybe this is why folks find it harder to control smoking temp in kettle etc.

I am refurbing a CL-special that has a few dings in the lid ring and is slightly out of round. Just wondering if I should work on this or if kettles leak some smoke.

Thanks everybody.

Just from my own experience no they don't seal like the WSM lid. My kettles get used about 4 times per week, and I have never had a problem with the lids.

if its not to bent i would not worry about it. also if the smoke is pouring out the side of the lid then this tells ya that you have to much smoke.

icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by John Binns:
Baby seal on Weber kettles? It's delicious!!

I've gotten really good at getting my kettle to maintain temps for hours. Not quite as good as a WSM, but very good nonetheless. Today I did a brisket and the kettle settled in to 350 for over four hours with no fiddling with the vents. I've also did ribs cooking at 230 degrees for over 6 hours.

sit ur lid on the kettle and check for wobbling, if wobbling pick lid up and bend lid to fix wobble thats what i do fixes problem

I read the title to this thread, but I was quite mislead. I thought it should be a recipe thread.

Hey, we'll just have to ask Chris for a new recipe thread. Walrus, Manatee, and Seal Recipes.

The more you cook/smoke on it the better the seal gets. I have had my performer for about 7 years now and it's sealed up nicely.

Originally posted by John Binns:
Baby seal on Weber kettles? It's delicious!!
I've been to Norway and have had Seal and Whale burgers. Delicious! And you know you ain't eatin' beef!
icon_wink.gif

I don't know anything about sealburgers, but I can tell you that my kettle seals really well as long as there aren't any accessories mounted. The tabs for the slide-aside and work table and such cause leaks.

Originally posted by Chris E:
Do the weber kettles typically seal up around the lid/bowl as well as the wsm?

I see a lot of smoke coming out from around the lid as well as top vent. Maybe this is why folks find it harder to control smoking temp in kettle etc.

I am refurbing a CL-special that has a few dings in the lid ring and is slightly out of round. Just wondering if I should work on this or if kettles leak some smoke.

Thanks everybody.
I don't remember where I got the idea for this, but since I have the same issues with an out of round kettle lid I've been using 2" binder clips to help complete the lid seal. The result was zero smoke leak, which was what I was after when I was using a Smokenator.

Seal is hard to come by in these parts. I don't believe I have ever seen it in my local grocery store. Maybe I have to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back