Scored a Summit S420 for $200, need help with natural gas connection…

That video is kinda weird. But, it's meant more for pressure testing to look for leaks. We'll assume since the OP's house has not launched into space it's likely not leaking. So the worst case thing would be the grill will not run up to full temp. I've seen entire homes plumbed in 3/8" copper in Minnesota
it's so he can get a pressure reading of this home's pressure post-diaphragm.

if you know the pressure, you can look up on some chart (online somewhere) the flow rate to see if the line can feed the 1/2" Summit line.

or just have the plumber do the reading. but that doesn't mean the plumber will advise if the flow is enough on the 3/8th as the plumber wants to bill the job. sometimes you just need to know stuff yourself.

or use this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FLEX-15-psi-Pressure-Test-Gauge-11-801-007/206997510

see this: https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/bu...-get-a-new-natural-gas-grill/weber-29885.html

specifically this:
pipe run length, OD and pressure data, BTW, for 3/8 and 3/4 : https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Gas_Pipe_Specifications.php

GA codes for gas lines: https://up.codes/viewer/georgia/ifgc-2012/chapter/4/gas-piping-installations#4

Summit 420 specs: Summit Series gas BBQ grills are the crown jewels of the Weber family, with exclusive features, the highest level of performance and stunning looks. You will enjoy the view of the Weber Summit E-420, but it adds more than just style to your backyard. The porcelain-enameled E-420 features 4 stainless steel burners that produce 48,800 BTUs and a 12,000 BTU flush-mounted side burner that lets you multi-task while grilling. The Snap-Jet individual burner ignition system helps you get the party started as quickly as possible.

48,800 + 12,000 = max flow needs to supply at least 60,800 BTUs

Last edited:
But the person on the vid was "pressurizing" the line with air. Plus he's quoting multiple PSI which is totally wrong on a gas line unless you're pressurizing for leak testing

But the person on the vid was "pressurizing" the line with air. Plus he's quoting multiple PSI which is totally wrong on a gas line unless you're pressurizing for leak testing
yes. but it also teaches how to use a gauge. i went overboard on sharing it. my bad. i will kill that link as to not confuse people.

bottom line, if one doesn't understand gas lines, don't play with the plumbing. unless of course, one thinks they're smarter than a licensed plumber.....

yes. but it also teaches how to use a gauge. i went overboard on sharing it. my bad. i will kill that link as to not confuse people.

bottom line, if one doesn't understand gas lines, don't play with the plumbing. unless of course, one thinks they're smarter than a licensed plumber.....
Not trying to be a putz here. But, I know how to do gas lines and pressure tests and that video even threw me for a loop until I figured out what tests the person was actually performing. Sorry wasn't trying to tick you off I know you meant well. It was just presented weird.

Not trying to be a putz here. But, I know how to do gas lines and pressure tests and that video even threw me for a loop until I figured out what tests the person was actually performing. Sorry wasn't trying to tick you off I know you meant well. It was just presented weird.
no problem at all. if it wasn't clear to you then it likely wasn't clear to someone else. i am only sharing basic info on gas lines, pipes and general sizing info. i am not a plumber. but i play on on occasion on some weekends. just follow the charts and know what you're doing. it' not rocket science. just basic math and knowhow.

He could have a trial up and running for $20 in less than an hour to see if it works.
If a plumber wanted to test the gas pressure they would use a manometer, it would measure in ounces, as house gas pressure is only 3-4 ounces.

With the valve right there and a clean nipple staring at him it’s worth trying. Again use soap and water to check for leaks, yes it is dangerous.
If OP is uncomfortable with tools then maybe hire a guy. However like others have said, try it first!

This is a good link for natural gas BTU vs pipe length and diameter: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-sizing-d_826.html

The size you need is a big function of the is a big function of length. The longer the run the greater the diameter of pipe you need. Each fitting that you put it through (e.g. an elbow) add on an extra 5 feet on the chart.

I recently ran a gas line for a portable generator. I figure I needed 150000 btu/hr. It was about 30 feet, and I could have gotten by with 3/4 in but I went with 1 in. Labor was the largest part of the cost by far. The material cost was not significantly different going from 3/4 in to 1 in. If ever I want a bigger generator, I am ready. I’d apply the same logic for a grill, fire pit, etc to allow for upgrades.

People understand oz better than water column, you say 7” water column and they will look it up to see it’s a 1/4 pound or 4 oz.
Just explaining gas pressure in homes is pretty low.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Have never seen a gauge or manometer marked "ounces". I don't think the term exists in regards to measuring pressures. 20lbs pressure is not xxx ounces. Inches WC is used precisely because gas pressures are so low. And because the standard of gas pressure measure was/is literally a tube filled with mater and marked in "inches". Which is why even a gauge set such as this is https://www.ebay.com/itm/323793851047 marked as WC. Throwing a non existent unit of pressure measuring on the OP will only serve to truly confuse him

Have never seen a gauge or manometer marked "ounces". I don't think the term exists in regards to measuring pressures. 20lbs pressure is not xxx ounces. Inches WC is used precisely because gas pressures are so low. And because the standard of gas pressure measure was/is literally a tube filled with mater and marked in "inches". Which is why even a gauge set such as this is https://www.ebay.com/itm/323793851047 marked as WC. Throwing a non existent unit of pressure measuring on the OP will only serve to truly confuse him
👍🏻👍🏻 I was under the impression that WC and ounces was convertible by chart. B34FFD3E-A1E1-465E-816A-66FCF41CA3A7.jpeg
My apologies though I was not trying to confuse the man.

Be safe if you decide to add the fittings.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread, here’s the final update!

Plumber came out and tested the flow. My 3/8 connection gives plenty of juice for the S420 and is not “sketchy” as I had previously thought. The plumber was incredibly helpful and long story short, it was either spend $1000-1200 for a new line or give it a go with $30 worth of brass adapters from Home Depot.

I installed all the adapters with pipe dope and am happy to report the S420 is kicking *** and ready to go! After a 15-20 minute warm up, I was able to top out around 650° on the thermometer which realistically is plenty hot for any cook I’ll be doing on it.

Cleaned everything up on the outside with Barkeepers Friend and did a long burn to kill any bacteria and old food particles. Cleaned up the inside and just did a quick cook for lunch. The Summit has an incredible amount of control compared to my old Weber which was a Genesis mode from the mid 90’s. I did a chicken breast with a simple SPG seasoning and hot honey glaze. Results were phenomenal.

Thanks again to everyone and happy grilling y’all!

Attachments

• DF226C19-57FE-42BB-B480-031575500535.jpeg
    DF226C19-57FE-42BB-B480-031575500535.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 18
  • A65D2EF6-EA80-4170-A7E9-14C633F4B1D1.jpeg
    A65D2EF6-EA80-4170-A7E9-14C633F4B1D1.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 17
  • ADA6B779-C18E-4B81-BA1E-2090FDCC6FD9.jpeg
    ADA6B779-C18E-4B81-BA1E-2090FDCC6FD9.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 17
Congratulations on a wonderful score and successful hookup! This discussion was informative, even though I'll be schlepping tanks over to U-Haul for the forseeable future.

I'm glad you got it up and running. I was also hoping for a picture of what you ended up doing for the plumbing.

Great job on that refurb. I just finished an S-420 but have a question about the door handles. Mine are chipping. Anybody ever take them off and spray paint them? If so, what did you use and what color. New ones ( amazon are $70/pair) dont think its worth the investment. Thanks in advance.

Back