Schwartz Smoked Meat

Scott D.

Hi All, I'm wondering if any of you have ever been to Schwartz's Hebrew Delicatessen in Montreal. They have delicious smoked meat and I'd like to try and recreate it. I'm not sure exactly what they do though and thought someone here might know, or have an idea.

They "marinate" a brisket for 10 days, then smoke it. Sounds like a pastrami to me, but I don't know.

The meat is delicious, very very very tender, and very delicious!

May the Schwartz be with you
icon_smile.gif
(Spaceballs)

Sorry - not helpful, but I do like that movie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven P.:
Sounds like "Montreal Smoked Meat" to me. Very popular but next to impossible to duplicate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is indeed Montreal Smoked Meat. Obviously their spice mix is going to be a secret, but maybe marinating for 10 days is the secret, then smoke it up.

www.schwartzsdeli.com for anyone interested.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven P.:
Sounds like "Montreal Smoked Meat" to me. Very popular but next to impossible to duplicate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But if you wanted to try to...

Nice, I actually just found this under recipes, I think it's definitely worth trying, especially if its even slightly close!

The link is www.schwartzsdeli.com.

I don't think it would be at all impossible to duplicate. The procedure is fairly straightforward. You'd have to figure out the spicing (though they sell their own blends; I'd start there or try Shawn's approach at Doug's link), the cure (very straightforward). and the cooking (I'd start by smoking and possibly--likely--add a steam finish).

A little trial and error should get you close. But even if it didn't you'd likely end up with great meat.

Yes, sorry, I left the s off Schwartz in the link. I just corrected it. I clicked on my link and was not pleased with all the pop ups that ensued! Sorry!!

K Kruger, I think you're spot on with the steam finish, the meat at Schwartz's is so moist and tender. Mmmm mmm good!

Back