Saucing Technique on SmokeFire

Jon B

TVWBB Member
I'm going to be cooking up some chicken breasts and thighs and saucing them.

On my Genesis I would just start to layer on the sauce and flip and repeat and continue several times until the breasts hit done temp. The BBQ sauce (Heinz) holds up well to the heat, but still it's a messy process and the gas grill has a lot of burnt sauce left on the grates. It becomes rock hard when it cools, but I just cook it off on high heat later and scrape.

Burning things off on high heat on a SF might not be the best idea. Any thoughts for replicating this layering on the SmokeFire or for cleaning afterward?

I know one school of thought is to only put the sauce on when the meat is about done, but it's a different look and taste.

I think mid temp burn off at 500 degrees for 30-45 minutes should turn the sauce crust on the grates crunchy enough to wire brush it clean. But I usually just pull the grates and V bars out and soak them in a shallow plastic container.

Cook as normal. If you’re concerned drop temp a bit on Smokefire, but it doesn’t really need any special treatment compared to others.

I don't disagree with others' feedback but if you conclude that you don't want to do a HH burn off like you're accustomed to on your Genesis then perhaps you can consider resting a roasting rack on a deep dish pan (even a large disposable foil pan) and cooking your breasts and thighs on that rack.

Like others, I‘ve found the best way is not to let it set, so if I’m cooking something messy, I usually take the food inside, leave the cooker running and go back and clean the grates while the food sits a few minutes. With a pellet grill, you might want to turn up the temp to like 350° as you’re taking off food and scrape a few minutes later.

Like others, I‘ve found the best way is not to let it set, so if I’m cooking something messy, I usually take the food inside, leave the cooker running and go back and clean the grates while the food sits a few minutes. With a pellet grill, you might want to turn up the temp to like 350° as you’re taking off food and scrape a few minutes later.

This might be the biggest way I adapt to the SF for cleaning purposes - clean the grates right away and hope most of the bbq sauce gunks up on pellet ash or hits a flavorizer bar. I also think I'm going to go for it and do a HH burn off every now and then if I need to and cross my fingers. I'll do my best to treat it like any other grill. Although this is my first SF, I followed the rollout pretty closely so I'm a little nervous about the high heat for cleaning :).

If I'm saucing something I put it on the top rack first, then put a drip pan underneath. The top grate is much easier to clean than my cast iron lower grates.

Back