Saucer Sorrows

Tommy B (Okie)

So. I went to clean out the smoker the other day, and I happened upon an unfortuante scene. The clay saucer that I thought was safe and sound inside my foil wrapped water pan had become a victim of a leak. The reddish clear liquid, which I presume to be smokey fat, had soaked my clay saucer. Do any of you know if it's ok to use it again, or will it emit something nasty next time it's hot? I'm not really sure about how to clean it either since the clay seems porous. I may just toss it because I haven't really noticed too much of a difference with or without it. Thanks for any input.

Tommy

still good. dealing with that mess everytime is why I went to just the foiled pan. I dont even change out my foil everything unless its been awhile since my last cook or there is an obscene amount of gunk on the foil.

Not only do I foil my claypot, but I then cross two pieces of foil laid on top of that and then use a rectangle pan on the bottom shelf below the food. My clay pot rarely has even a drop on it.)))))::::::::::::::::::>> d

One thing you don't want is the smoke and the odour from previous cooks. I'd put it in a dishwasher, it should come clean. If it does not clean up it's only a few dollars for a new one. They do work well for me.

Last edited:
One thing you don't want is the smoke and the odour from previous cooks. I'd put it in a dishwasher, it should come clean. If it does not clean up it's only a few dollars for a new one. They do work well for me.

a seasoned pit is the product of every cook that has ever occured in it. a little build up is natural

I have always worried about dishwasher soap, over cleaner, etc. soaking into the porous clay. I have had some luck salvaging them by slowly heating the saucer on my gasser and wiping the grease clean as it is released and raises out of the clay.

I light the back burner on my Silver B and turn it to low. Place the saucer on the grate and check it every 20 minutes or so, wiping each time until the saucer is dry. This seems to work well with minor to medium “greasy” saucers. I replace ones that are more heavily greased.

Hope this helps.

Back