Saskatoon Wood for Smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Does anyone know if Saskatoon wood is good for smoking with?

There is a huge U-Pick Saskatoon berry farm a few miles from my house .... who knows, maybe I could get free smoke wood from them

Some Saskatoon berry pics and info here Chris. They make the best berry pie. Tied with peach for my favourite fruit pie. Saskatoon apple, saskatoon rhubarb ....... all this talk, now I have to make one when I get home!

If no one knows maybe I'll just have to try it in the name of BBQ science!

Hey Shawn, another Saskatoon berry mega-fan here. I've wondered the same thing myself. I wouldn't hesitate to try it, although I'm not sure about the thickness of the branches. You'd probably have to dig up a mature bush whole to get anything larger than 1" in diameter. I picked some berries at a farm earlier this summer, but didn't really think prunings would do much good. Incidentally, that day, 2 women were 1 row over from me discussing what they were going to do with their old dying apple tree. Of course I ran over, introduced myself and offered to take it off their hands... No phone call yet though.

Shawn, Did you ever try the Saskatoon wood out yet.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

No, I never did call that U-Pick to see if I could get some trimmings .... thanks for the reminder Bryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back