Santa Maria Grilling

Glenn W

TVWBB Guru
Are there any benefits to this style cooking or specific foods that do well/better or is it just the visual/fun factor? I am kinda intriqued by this method.

I'm not sure what you're intrigued by - cooking on a grate close the the heat then raising it? - cooking over wood in a large open grill? - both?

Both. Just curious if it has any benefits that I can't think of other than the fun/ visual side of it. Lots of folks do it, but then again lots do things.........that I'm not sure of????

None I know of. Changing proximity to the heat is easily done on any number of grills. Wood for cooking isn't warranted on some grill types, fine on others.

I've often had to cook on open pit grills. Can't say I'm a fan. I dislike having to attend so much. I don't like food cooked in flames, so one must constantly be on guard; moving to indirect means a rather long cook as there's no lid to contain the heat. YMMV, however.

one of the benefits is that you use real oak and the burning drippings add flavor also. rather simple way of doing large cuts of meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis: rather simple way of doing large cuts of meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> A lot of large cuts of meat.

Not very simple, ime. With a large grill of any kind one can do lots of meat. With a covered large grill, one can do lots of meat without having to attend it much. One can cook over wood on many grills.

Drippings can add some flavor - but so can other things. Flare-ups - cooking in flame - adds nothing I want on my meat.

well, sure. but it happened to be what folks used at that time in this area, early calif. simple. they didn't know nor care what other folks did or the science of grilling/queing. its a rather basic grill with a moveable grate. nothing more, nothing less.

These guys have been cooking at the festivals in south county for years. They have a long open pit they bring and cook everything over oak wood. They just move the tritips to offset like on a Weber. They sell tri tip sandwiches and whole tri tips with garlic bread and beans. It's superb. I reccomend buying some of their spices too.
Mansmiths

On a side note, I have been having a serious craving for tritip lately and can't seem to find a fair price on them. I may need to buy some at Costco. I wish I had a tritip sammy right now and it's 4:30 am.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Shaun I have to agree with you on the price lately. I have been seein' em for about $7.99 per lb around here although yesterday I saw them at whole foods for $13.99 lb and about fell out laughing. I actually thought they may have been mismarked as I have never seen them that expensive.

I think it has as much merit as cooking low and slow. If you read up on history and the cooking methods where BBQ supposedly came from you would see that a lot of southwestern cooking was over high heat. They did beef. Down south was mostly Pork. Two differant types of meat with 2 different types of cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think it has as much merit as cooking low and slow </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Absolutely it does.

Back