Sandblasting kit recommendation?

DaveLong

TVWBB Member
My red Weber need restore in the near future. I have the BOSTITCH compressor 150psi already and thinking about buy a cheap sandblasting kit. Please give me inputs if you have experience with them. I think an adapter is also need, but not sure. Here are my 2 choices:

PERFORMANCE TOOL M570C Sandblasting kit
Campbell Hausfeld AT1226 Sandblasting Kit

Don't expect much from them or your compressor. To run a blaster you need a WAY larger sustained air flow than the Bostitch can provide. Better invest your $$$$ in a die grinder and angle grinder and some wire brushes to go with them. But even those will tax your compressor beying what you can believe.

Don't expect much from them or your compressor. To run a blaster you need a WAY larger sustained air flow than the Bostitch can provide. Better invest your $$$$ in a die grinder and angle grinder and some wire brushes to go with them. But even those will tax your compressor beying what you can believe.

What type of compressor do I need? I know someone who has larger tank, but not sure about CFM. I was thinking cooking pizza several times, maybe it will help peel of the paint. The only part that I need to paint is the outside firebox.

You need a bigger compressor than most anything you'd want at home. Just wire wheel it. Or do as I did and find a commercial sandblasting place. I had a buch of stuff blasted for my Wolf and it cost me all of $15.00. And a GREAT job too.

I thought that Bostitch only made small construction type compressors. It's not the PSI, but the CFM @ 90 PSI. The cheaper the blaster, the more air it will need (siphon blasters are cheap but inefficient). That Campbell Hausfeld for instance needs 11.5 CFM at whatever pressure you will be blasting. Look on your compressor and see how many SCFM @ 90 PSI it is capable of producing. I bet it is closer to 2 than 11. Add to that it is probably not continuous duty, and you are WAAY under powered.

Unless you want to invest in a much larger 220V compressor, bring the parts somewhere and pay someone else to blast them.

I can certainly understand the desire to do the project yourself from start to finish. But in the time and $$$ you spent to get a SB kit and all you could have takin the parts to a local guy that sandblasts parts and be done with it.

just my .02

jz

I am one of those person who love DIY and a lot of the time is learning something from the task. By the look of it, I will use a stainless steel wheel with the drill as I have no use for the larger compressor.

Back